No hallmark - a kite mark?

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
MiloRichards

No hallmark - a kite mark?

Post by MiloRichards »

I have a pair of earrings that seem to show what looks like a kite mark, or rather 'diamond mark', along with presumably a makers mark of TC9.

If the diamond mark is decoded it seems to spell out '25th June 1875'. The metal tests at 14 carat.

But I've never seen this kind of marking on gold before - is it unusual to have a kite / diamond mark on a piece of jewellery and no standard hall marks? Does it signify anything such as perhaps an import / export? As far as I know diamond marks are British so it must have been stamped in this country at some point, but the lack of hallmark has me baffled.

Any comments appreciated.

AG2012
contributor

Re: No hallmark - a kite mark?

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
For British registration numbers take a look here:
http://www.925-1000.com/registry.html
Your pattern was entered 25 June 1875. Not neccessarily made that year but possibly later.
In 1884 the Diamond was dropped.
There should be more marks but hollow gold is badly damaged, repaired with soft solder etc.
Acid testing is not reliable unless filed deep enough (rolled gold, thick gold plated).
Regards
MiloRichards

Re: No hallmark - a kite mark?

Post by MiloRichards »

Ah, thank you very much! Now not so mysterious - I didn't know they were aka registration numbers. Nothing to do with the gold then as such, more of a design patent.

You're right it is fairly damaged, but I cannot find a hallmark anywhere. And the tests were pretty conclusive, done on a clear flat piece.

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )

Return to “Gold - Single Image”