Gold seals

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
Granmaa
co-admin

Gold seals

Post by Granmaa »

I have a bunch of seals which are most likely gold plated, they have various stones inside. Can anyone suggest a date for these?

Miles

georgiansilver
contributor

Post by georgiansilver »

Hi Miles. I have always referred to those with similar patterns as mid Victorian as there seems to be no definitive times for their make or styles. Georgian ones werwe generally plainer. Probably impossible to date. Best wishes, Mike.
2209patrick
co-admin

Post by 2209patrick »

Hello Miles.

Missed this post originally. Thanks to Mike for bringing it up.

As you likely know this is known as a fob seal. They were suspended on chains attached to waistcoats.
Here's a quote from one of my books:

"... These were equally as popular as the finger seal rings. From 1738 to 1791 silver and gold examples were exempted from hall-marking, and the vast majority of surviving silver examples date from this very period. By 1810 the preference in seals was for gold-mounted hardstones."

Pat.
Granmaa
co-admin

Post by Granmaa »

Thankyou both very much for your help.
I have 12 of these seals and not one is marked in any way; I am sure some of them are gold, but Mike's dating and the information Pat gives on hallmark exemption don't agree with this.
It's irritating how difficult it is to find information on this sort of thing.

Miles
georgiansilver
contributor

Post by georgiansilver »

Miles. I guess I don't know where you would find an expert on seals but suggest you contact Sothebys by phone and ask if they actually know one. Best wishes, Mike.

Return to “Gold - Single Image”