Indian Silver Retailer

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
dmay

Indian Silver Retailer

Post by dmay »

Can anyone tell me about the jeweler Jagat Narain & Sons of New Delhi. I have recently purchased a set of sterling place card holders in their presentation boxes with the above jewelers name. They are also marked sterling and have a JS on them, which makes me wonder whether the mark is also that of the jewelers. My understanding is that they were purchased in New Delhi during World War II. Any further information would be of interest to me.
hagstrom

Jewelers in India

Post by hagstrom »

I do not have information on that specific jeweler but if New Dehli is anything like Hyderabad you may never get much useful information. Jewelery shops are everywhere in Hyderabad. I mean EVERYWHERE. There is a completely different system at work in India. They sell gold and silver jewelry by the wieght of the metal and value of the stones. Labor is nothing here. The shops are large and small. A saturday night out in Hyderabad is "going jewelery shopping". You may be trying to find information on a place that may be (or was) one of hundreds of places.
There are more jewelery places than Starbucks in Seattle and they are just as busy on the weekends. Buyers sitting side by side all along LONG counters with sellers on the other side servicing each customer. They have lounges in the middle of the floor if there is overflow customers. They haul out trays and trays full of stuff for you to play with. They only consider 22K actually good gold and it is all HEAVY. No cheap light hollow stuff here! There is status and religious connections to it all.

Return to “Asia & Middle East - Single Image”