persian hallmark question

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
zibbyg15

persian hallmark question

Post by zibbyg15 »

Hi,

I have this Persian Shamshir sword and recently discovered the marks on the sheath but cannot locate what these marks mean. I think the last area could be a number as in 24 or 29, but i also think it could be an animal given further research. Does anyone have any ideas on these marks? Below please find a link to my photobucket site, under the album sword mark and you can see both marks.

Thanks!

http://s1312.photobucket.com/user/zibbyg15/library/
WarrenKundis
contributor

Re: persian hallmark question

Post by WarrenKundis »

Good day,

Some very interesting marks but you might have better luck with a response if you crop enlarge then try to enhance the contrast and/or sharpness. Showing the single mark rotated once or twice may help discern which way is up. The middle mark in the second image has the same problem. After all that try embedding them in a new post.

Hope this helps.
Warren
WarrenKundis
contributor

Post by WarrenKundis »

After reexamining the single image, it appears to be an Ottoman Sultan's turghra that has been double struck. Try gently cleaning it out the mark with a chewed wooden toothpick and a little silver polish then reshooting. At the very least rotate it counterclockwise one position. There are a number of examples on Wikipedia's list of Ottoman Sultans.

Will leave you to it.
Warren
zibbyg15

Post by zibbyg15 »

Many thanks Warren for your help and knowledge. I will begin to dig deeper into this now. It has been a struggle so i really appreciate it!

Best,
Zibby

Return to “Asia & Middle East - Single Image”