Far eastern Silver?

MARK IMAGE REQUIRED
catkin

Far eastern Silver?

Post by catkin »

Hello,I have been give this little brooch,and I tentatively ask(with all you experts on here)If this is an oriental/far eastern silver hallmark .Any information identifying its age or origins,or indeed if it is silver,gratefully received.Kind regards.
davidross
contributor

Re: Far eastern Silver?

Post by davidross »

The pin is probably Chinese.

I have found no definite meaning for the characters 安良里 and 祥安, other than that they both could be place-names. Best guess would be that the three-character mark is geographical and the two-character mark, the name of a retailer or sponsor unknown to me.

Neither is a silver mark, so you will have to draw your own conclusion about the metal content.

As for other details such as date, not much can be said from one photo of the backside, but perhaps someone else will provide a more satisfactory answer.

Regards
DR
catkin

Re: Far eastern Silver?

Post by catkin »

Hi David,I am very grateful to you for taking time out to reply to me.The front of the brooch has Kingfisher wing feathers dotted on the silver coloured metal,(an old Chinese art form that ended after the revolution I believe) and its hand wrought.Mysterious little brooch.Thanks again,Kind regards

Return to “Asia & Middle East - Single Image”