Brit Sterling? American Coin? Continental? Star Maker Mark

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
SilverSurfer
contributor

Brit Sterling? American Coin? Continental? Star Maker Mark

Post by SilverSurfer »

This spoon is frustrating. I feel like I should recognize the maker's mark, but I don't, nor can I find it listed anywhere. It is reminiscent of Matthew Boulton's Sheffield Silver mark, but no cigar. Likewise it resembles a few marks for some 17th century English provincial silver, but that is much too early. The spoon is Scottish Oar Pattern (shoulderless Fiddle Pattern), and may be provincial Scottish, or perhaps c.1805 American coin silver, maybe even Continental? It is 22.5 cm in length, and weighs 60 grams. The bowl tip has a pronounced French-style "shelf" on the upper (concave) side. Here are the pics:

Can someone identify these marks, so I can smack myself in the forehead and exclaim, "THAT'S it! I should have known!!!" Thanks in advance!

SS
SilverSurfer
contributor

Post by SilverSurfer »

Thank you to the moderator for moving this thread over from the Brit Silver board. More examination reveals some small fold cracks on the stem underside of the spoon. Though the spoon is competently made in general, well proportioned, smooth and symmetrical, the small surface cracks on the stem underside indicate that it was fashioned from hand-hammered sheet and was not finished to the highest standard where the cracks appear. To me this points more to an American origin than a provincial Brit beginning. Perhaps the maker's marks are those of a part-time silversmith (maybe even a talented blacksmith?) who was never recorded?

SS
SilverSurfer
contributor

Re: Brit Sterling? American Coin? Continental? Star Maker M

Post by SilverSurfer »

It's been four years and still no solution, so I thought I'd bump this one back to the top of the list. The original full-length photo now overflows the revised screen format, so here's a re-sized shot:

Still think Provincial Scot and c.1805 American are the most likely origin candidates, depends on whether these marks are recognized somewhere with decent attribution. TIA for any and all input!
SilverSurfer
contributor

Re: Brit Sterling? American Coin? Continental? Star Maker M

Post by SilverSurfer »

Another blast from the past. Still hoping someone might recognize these marks, off the wall as they are. Any takers? Thx!!!
SilverSurfer
contributor

Re: Brit Sterling? American Coin? Continental? Star Maker Mark

Post by SilverSurfer »

Bump back to the top! Thought I'd try again, now with a new image host. Same questions as before, here are the pics in case the old links don't work for you (I can see them, but evidently many others can't).

C.1805 American? Scottish Provincial? Inquiring minds! ;o)
WesternPA
contributor

Re: Brit Sterling? American Coin? Continental? Star Maker Mark

Post by WesternPA »

The shape of the bowl sure looks continental, perhaps German states circa 1820-50.

Return to “Coin Silversmiths ~ American pre-1860”