Barry No.92 Spoon

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
RArmstrong

Barry No.92 Spoon

Post by RArmstrong »

I found this spoon in a mixed lot of flatware at an auction - I almost threw this in my junk pile because i didn't recognize the mark and it looked beat up - but I decided to investigate and found the mark is from Standish Barry, a silversmith in Baltimore 1780's-1840's. The only spoons I can find online that are close to this are in museums. Most of the silverplate in the box were pretty tarnished, but this spoon wasn't (I haven't polished it, pics are as it was found) - is it coin silver? Did I find something special or is it pretty common? I'm pretty new to the "silver world" so any information will be appreciated!

dognose
Site Admin

Re: Barry No.92 Spoon

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

I cannot help much, only to confirm the maker as Standish Barry of Baltimore.

A ladle of his is in The Metropolitan Museum of Art:

STANDISH BARRY Baltimore, Md.; working 1790.
197 Ladle. Palmette ornament below drop on bowl; bright-cut design on handle. L. 15 3/8 in.
Marks: (1) Barry (shaded roman capitals, initial larger), in shaped rectangle (Walpole, 10); (2) No. 92, in rectangle.

The '92' probably relates to his address at 92, Baltimore (Market) Street from at least 1796 to 1800 prior to his relocation to 20, North Gay Street.

It's a wonderful find. Well done on saving such a piece.

Trev.
silverly

Post by silverly »

I believe it is coin silver. Whether or not it is sought after, I do not know. If it were mine, I'm sure I would treasure it.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

On the 4th of July, 1790, Mr. Standish Barry, a silversmith, issued in Baltimore, a silver token, known as "The Baltimore Town threepence."

On the obverse side the device is,—A head, facing left, within a plain circle. Legend:—Baltimore Town. July · 4 · 90 ·. Reverse:—Inscription, Three Pence, within a plain circle. Legend: Standish · Barry · entwined in a beaded network. Border and edge, Milled; size, 9; weight, 13 grains.

Source: History of Maryland - John Thomas Scharf - 1879

Trev.
RArmstrong

Post by RArmstrong »

Thank you all for your help - I really appreciate it! I also found from an old book on google that "92" was some sort of patriotic symbol and several silversmiths would use the number in their marks. Glad I didn't throw this out!

Return to “Coin Silversmiths ~ American pre-1860”