Silversmith J.C. WILSON

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
gloverfl

Silversmith J.C. WILSON

Post by gloverfl »

I have a family heirloom coin silver serving spoon with maker's mark J.C. WILSON. The original owner of the monogrammed spoon, Ephraim Gilmore Means (1795 -1873), lived in Romney, Virginia (now West Virginia). Family story is that the spoon was made from silver dollars the owner earned as a drummer boy in the war of 1812. Traditionally, the spoon has been passed on to our family's oldest surviving son. I inherited the spoon in 1982.

Despite expert assistance, I have been unable to uncover any reliable information regarding the silversmith, J.C. WILSON. However, I have found for sale a set of coin silver teaspoons and a coin silver sugar tongs. Each item had a J.C. WILSON maker's mark identical to that on our serving spoon.

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )

I am interested in obtaining facts regarding the silversmith J.C. WILSON. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Waylander
co-admin

Re: Silversmith J.C. WILSON

Post by Waylander »

Hi

Welcome to the Forum and thanks for your post. While I can't help, we have a number of experts in American coin silver who may be able to assist.

Really like the story behind the spoon too.

Regards

Waylander
silverly

Post by silverly »

I can't do any follow up on this right now myself, but do find a seller selling sugar tongs with what might be the same marking and attributing it to JC Wilson Houston, Texas.
wev
contributor

Post by wev »

I have seen this mark at least half a dozen times on flatware c 1830 or so. I have never found any commonality of locale nor any further information on a possible maker/retailer. The person with the "Texas" tongs could offer no justification for that assumption (except, perhaps, rarity of locale always boosts sales).
gloverfl

Post by gloverfl »

Dear wev ~ I believe that you are correct. The marking shown on the Confederate sword looks nothing like the J.C. Wilson maker's mark on the spoon or the sugar tongs. I suspect that any suggested Houston connection with the spoon is erroneous, and that the it was made in a place like Philadelphia or Baltimore. These cities are more proximate to Romney, West Virginia and Delaware, Ohio where the original owner of the spoon lived until his death in 1873.
gloverfl

Post by gloverfl »

I am wondering if the quality of the EGM monogram on the spoon handle could provide a clue as to where and when the spoon was made.

Return to “Coin Silversmiths ~ American pre-1860”