American basting spoon, any info appreciated.

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
42jbb

American basting spoon, any info appreciated.

Post by 42jbb »

Hi can anyone help me with this basting spoon. It looks to be American pre 1860. Can anyone tell me more about it. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

X

Best Wishes

42jbb
oel
co-admin

Re: American basting spoon, any info appreciated.

Post by oel »

Hi, to me your images are not showing.

Oel.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

::: I am getting a very strong "Baldwin & Gardiner" signal on this spoon, and I know there were a few variations on the "Baldwin & Gardiner" hallmarks, but I have never seen the "Crowned Jester's Head" in place of the traditional "B & G" hallmark :::: Baldwin & Gardiner did manufacture flatware in the "King's Pattern" which this pattern, generally, is, perhaps a related pattern called "Queen's Patten" :::: It is of very good quality, quite frankly if it is Baldwin & Gardiner it is of higher quality than the other Baldwin & Gardiner pieces that I have seen both in person and on the inter-web ::::
wev
contributor

Post by wev »

I presume the previous post meant the NYC jeweler and merchant Baldwin Gardiner. Like most of his fellows in the day, he retailed silver bought in from several NYC wholesale manufacturers, rather than producing standard goods in shop.

The D/Lion/Bust mark is attributed to an as yet unknown NYC wholesale manufacturer. I have seen scores of good with this mark and the countermark of as many retailers, with quality running from ordinary to top drawer. The last mark (a cartoonish imitation of the English Leopard head hallmark) has been tentatively attributed to the Forbes family group, but without any definitive proof. The fact they are all found together should not be taken as an indication of a single manufacturer, as there are known examples of goods sold from one wholesaler to another to fill in orders with the resulting pieces showing a variety of mark combinations. It's all very convoluted, which should be real surprise given the state of factory production at the time.

The best you can say is that your piece is of better than average quality, made by an unknown NYC wholesale manufacturer, possibly remarked/resold by another, and retailed by an unknown merchant from anywhere along the eastern seaboard.
wev
contributor

Post by wev »

The last should read
It's all very convoluted, which should be no real surprise"

The inability to edit a post on this forum is infuriating.

Return to “Coin Silversmiths ~ American pre-1860”