San Jose Silver Spoon

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
SilverSurfer
contributor

San Jose Silver Spoon

Post by SilverSurfer »

Hi! Been a while since I last checked in, need to review what I've missed! In the meantime, I have a question re a piece I just picked up. I have a weakness for pre-earthquake San Francisco area silver and so took a small chance on a tablespoon marked J.LEWIS. (maybe the retailer? - unfound in Ensko and Wyler, and no result from quick internet query and review of makers on this site) and SAN JOSE.. Though the fonts are slightly different between the personal name and city name imprints (compare the S marks and the inter-character spacing), the apparent extraneous period after LEWIS and JOSE might argue that they are from the same source, whether the maker or retailer. The general spoon pattern is perhaps Threaded/Plain Thread by Schulz & Fischer, if they indeed are the makers. Might anyone have an informed opinion as to the origin of this spoon, including maker, time and location? TIA! Photo below (hopefully, been a struggle):

SilverSurfer
contributor

Re: San Jose Silver Spoon

Post by SilverSurfer »

Okay, Photobucket and Picasa didn't work, try IMGUR:
SilverSurfer
contributor

Post by SilverSurfer »

Following a different thread, I just now became aware again of another site that happens to feature a J.LEWIS., however the stamp is different (embossed vs. incised?) and the maker is listed for 1830-64 in Philadelphia. Maybe he retired in San Jose? ;o) Link below:

http://sterlingflatwarefashions.com/Sil ... /SSL4.html
silverly

Post by silverly »

I'd say it is Jackson Lewis a jeweler who was born in Lancaster Massachusetts in 1822 and died in San Jose, California in 1887. His obituary has him arriving in San Jose in 1849. His was the first jewelry shop in San Jose. If all this is correct, I'd say it's a great spoon to have.
SilverSurfer
contributor

Post by SilverSurfer »

Thank you, silverly, for your informative response. I mentioned the idea of easterner Lewis retiring in San Jose as a kind of a joke, I'm amazed that it was close to the mark. A 1849 date for arrival seems rather early (a true "49er"?), though, would be nice to get confirmation of this. As such an early arrival, he escapes any mention in Silver In The Golden State", unlike, say, Lawler (see aside below!). Also would be interesting to determine whether the marks shown represent maker or retailer stamps. Will examine the piece when received (pics shown are the seller's) and see whether I can identify Shulz & Fischer as the makers. I'll post a better pic of the marks then.

Getting the early California silver bit in my teeth, I also just snagged some Lawler dessert spoons, but with maker's marks (WM LAWLER & CO SF CAL) that I don't see in the usual sources, though the maker name appears to be stamped over something else that also ends in & CO. Will also post pics of these stamps when the spoons are received.

In any event, thanks again, silverly, I appreciate your information!
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi SilverSurfer,
A 1849 date for arrival seems rather early (a true "49er"?), though, would be nice to get confirmation of this.

D. ALLISON, one of the prominent business men of this county, is the proprietor of the oldest established jewelry store in San Jose, he having succeeded Jackson Lewis, who established the business in 1849. Mr. Allison is a native of the State of New York, having been born in Broome County in 1834, but removing with his parents to a farm near Birmingham, Michigan, in 1836. Here he received his education, and learned the jewelry business, working at it both in Pontiac and in Detroit.

In 1858 he came to California by way of Panama, and immediately followed the tide of people to the gold mines, going to Mokelumne Hill. After mining about three months he went to work at his trade in the same town, remaining there four years. During the Esmeralda County gold excitement he went to Aurora, where he remained two years in the jewelry business. In 1864 he came to San Francisco, where he formed a company for the manufacture of aerated bread, adding, after two years, the manufacture of yeast bread. During this time six wagons were required to deliver the bread to the customers. On the breaking out of the small-pox in the fall of 1868, the company closed the bakery, whereupon Mr. Allison came to San Jose, and entered the store of Jackson Lewis. In 1879 he succeeded Mr. Lewis in the business, and has continued it to this time.

In 1875 Mr. Allison was married to Miss Mollie E. Secoy, of Chicago, whose parents, Dr. Secoy and wife, of Chicago, died during her early infancy. Mr. and Mrs. Allison have five children: Camille, Winfred, Mildred, Leone, and W. D., Jr. Mr. Allison’s parents were David and Susan Allison, his father a native of New York State and his mother of New Jersey. Both parents are dead, his father dying in 1883, at Pontiac, Michigan, at the age of ninety-two years, his mother in 1866. Both are buried at Troy, Michigan, near the old farm where they had lived so long.

Mr. Allison is a member of San Jose Lodge, No. 10, F. & A. M., and of San Jose Commandery, No. 10, of Knights Templar, also a member of Scottish Rite, and of the I. O. O. F.

Source: Pen Pictures from the Garden of the World, Or Santa Clara County, California - Edited by Horace S. Foote - 1888

Trev.
SilverSurfer
contributor

Post by SilverSurfer »

Thank you, Trev, for your follow up! You and silverly and a few others are amazing in the obscure, detailed info you are able to scare up. I'm stoked that this spoon, currently in transit, was associated with such an early California silver maker/vendor. Can't wait to get it in hand to determine, if possible, whether Lewis, S&F, or another is the maker. Again, a bit disappointed that Lewis was not featured in Silver In The Golden State (Oakland Museum, 1986). Your source makes up for that, thanks again, Trev!
silverly

Post by silverly »

You are welcome SilverSurfer. The closest I can get Jackson Lewis to San Jose in a primary records is the 1852 California Census where he is listed as J Lewis jeweller born in Massachusetts in 1822 and living in Santa Clara County. Apparently, the federal census of 1850 is missing for Santa Clara county. There is also an 1854 California marriage record for him.
silverly

Post by silverly »

silverly wrote:The closest I can get Jackson Lewis to San Jose in a primary records is the 1852 California Census ....
That is the closest to 1849.
SilverSurfer
contributor

Post by SilverSurfer »

Thanks again, guys. Added below is a composite pic of the spoon, received today. Length is 17.7 cm and weight 34 grams. Unfortunately not much more to go on to determine whether the spoon was made by Lewis or by Schulz & Fischer and only retailed by him.

silverly

Post by silverly »

I can add that Jackson Lewis is listed with his 18 year old brother William Augustus Lewis a jeweller in the 1852 Santa Clara County Census. The census page is not very clear. I think he remains with his brother in San Jose throughout his lifetime and as expected outlived Jackson.
SilverSurfer
contributor

Post by SilverSurfer »

Rather than try to dig my odd pieces of SF silver out of the dungeon to try to identify the maker of the J.LEWIS. (and LAWLER & CO) marked spoon(s), I surfed the 'net to hopefully find a greater number of representative examples. One good find was a closed auction by Witherell's of the estate of Edwin Iloff on 11/4/16 that contained over 300 pieces of early California silver. Typically a day late and a dollar short, I am surprised at the reasonable prices of many of the items, wish I'd seen it beforehand. Anyway, looking closely at the design, it appears that the Lewis spoon was likely made by Vanderslice (also likely were some of the Lawler spoons that I'll cover in another thread once received and examined). So not as neat as a Lewis personally made spoon, but still worth a giggle nonetheless.

Return to “Coin Silversmiths ~ American pre-1860”