Early American Box

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
neurorocker

Early American Box

Post by neurorocker »

Hi there,

I'm really stuck on this snuff box. I can't find the maker mark anywhere.

Here's what I can tell from looking at it:
1.) Dimensions are: 1.2" x 1.6" x 2.70" (31 x 41 x 68mm). Unusually heavy construction at 134 grams.
2.) Parcel gilt interior
3.) Hidden hinges
4.) Monogrammed 'TCH'
5.) Decorated with Sassafras boughs and blossoms on each side.
6.) Marked with serif capitals for the maker 'LA' in a rectangular cartouche.

Aguest
contributor

Re: Early American Box

Post by Aguest »

___I am interested in the Sassafras motif as this is the first time I have noticed it, and the history of Sassafras too___
("Sassafras was such a desired commodity in England, that its importation was included in the Charter of the Colony of Virginia in 1610")
neurorocker

Post by neurorocker »

Me too! Interested and have never seen it before on silver or other items symbolically. I think it is highly significant as it pegs the box to the Eastern US and hints at possible colonial origins. As you say, there is a great deal of early mythology surrounding the plant.

"Because early Sassafras ships made it back to England without harm, Sassafras also quickly developed a reputation for being a “lucky wood” and a “protective wood”; Eric Sloane writes about how people soon were making many things of sassafras, such as spoons, cradle inlays, and bible boxes (to keep away evil spirits). Sassafras wood was included in new ship designs to keep away evil spirits and prevent the ship from being wrecked. Further, for over a century, it was considered to be able to extend life, cure all things, and drive away any sickness. And so, from the time of early Western exploration in the new world, Sassafras was a highly regarded and sought commodity that offered healing and protection."
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

_Laurent Amiot of Quebec Canada : (found a few nice snuff boxes by this maker) : However, the punch is circular with a dot in-between the L and A_
A few of the bright-cut elements on the box are very similar to the "old english pattern" by many English silversmiths circa 1780, especially around the monogram cartouche, the interlocking pattern of V-shaped bright-cut elements especially, so I have been searching English Colonial and English Provincial with no success yet{{{
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

There are slight variations in the hallmark of Laurent Amiot, and he was a amazingly creative silversmith, so I am intrigued by this possibility, but really it would be best if perhaps an expert in the silver of Laurent Amiot could confirm or deny the use of an alternate hallmark___

::: And even if I am wrong, I am thankful for learning more about this talented silversmith from Quebec :::
:: Some have criticized me for making errors, but the root of the word is "errare," Latin for "To Wander" ::
neurorocker

Post by neurorocker »

I think of it as an exploration. We cannot learn if we don't venture into the unknown. Thank you for that post. I think you've absolutely nailed it. Plenty examples of his snuff boxes out there with the same flower motifs. The marks have differences, but also key similarities. What a fabulous find and thank you!! https://www.gallery.ca/magazine/exhibit ... rent-amiot
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

I especially like how the hinges are bright-cut, that is a really creative piece of artistry which effectively blends the hinges into the overall pattern of design__ I cannot recall seeing that detail on silver before, although it is possible I have seen it before, definitely not very often! ___

I did see those other floral-patterned boxes, and although I cannot find any other possible candidate for the "LA" hallmark, perhaps reading a book on this silversmith or contacting an expert on this silversmith will help us to understand more about this "LA in a square" variation of the hallmark, and you might even be able to find a famous Canadian for whom this box was made.....you never know! ___
neurorocker

Post by neurorocker »

The funny thing about the hinges is that what you are seeing are not hinges at all! Those are false hinges. The hinges for this box are entirely hidden on the inside! No part of them can be seen from the exterior. Remarkable. Thanks! I could not have figured it out without you.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

After learning about the history of Sassafras, I must say, the subject is so interesting that it could be made into a movie ::: Sassafras Tea was highly prized as a medicine and a cure-all and an extender of life such that it became very expensive and sought after ::: Sassafras could have played a role in the "Lost Colony Of Roanoke" because there is a map from 1650 of the area which shows a tree labelled as a "Sassafras Tree" :::

I know that I jump to conclusions sometimes, so take this with a grain of sassafras, but this box looks of an unusual size to be a snuff box ::: It would be difficult to properly pinch tobacco due to the unusually large depth of the box, the tips of the fingers would not be able to best pinch tobacco by pinning it against a silver corner with a shallow depth, typical of snuff boxes :::

So take another grain of sassafras when I make the following claim:

I believe this is a small tea caddy designed for an extremely expensive tea:

This could be a Sassafras Tea Caddy:

It's just a theory, and I know that I jump to conclusions sometimes, but you must admit that the depth is unusual for a traditional snuff box, right?
neurorocker

Post by neurorocker »

There must be some particular reason that a box would be decorated with the sassafras leaf-- and it is an unusual motif. Not one that I've ever come across before. It might well have been a small box for transporting the roots of the plant. I can't say for certain.

Return to “Coin Silversmiths ~ American pre-1860”