Unknown Mark On Coin Silver Shell Spoon

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
mhmorningstar

Unknown Mark On Coin Silver Shell Spoon

Post by mhmorningstar »

I have a shell spoon marked Coin with a pictorial mark that I cannot identify. The only other markings are a "MMH" monogram on the front.

AG2012
contributor

Re: Unknown Mark On Coin Silver Shell Spoon

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
I think it was an ordinary tea spoon converted to more attractive spoon with shell bowl.
Solder line is clearly seen. Spoons are not made like this.
Cannot help with the maker
Regards

mhmorningstar

Post by mhmorningstar »

Thank you for your reply. I am actually very confident the shell is original. I have seen other examples of shell spoons from early to mid 19th century and I have a few other "modified" pieces as well - one is a really cool 1874 Russian handle with an 1847 Victorian Gothic Crown as the bowl (gothic crown most likely a reproduction but did test positive for silver). My biggest concern with the shell spoon is trying to find out if the pictorial mark can help identify the maker. What you pointed to as a solder line is a shadow on the curve from my poor lighting.

silverly

Post by silverly »

The mark may be a journeyman's.
mhmorningstar

Post by mhmorningstar »

Possibly a journeyman’s mark. Has me confused.
silverly

Post by silverly »

Someone that worked under a master and therefore did not rate an identifiable mark.
WesternPA
contributor

Post by WesternPA »

This is a mark that seems to appear on a lot of pieces with retailers in the area around Detroit and as far East as Erie. Still looking into identifying it.
WesternPA
contributor

Post by WesternPA »

Probably a manufacturer's mark.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

There may be a logic to an odd maker mark. We have several legal cases by manufacturers against retailers over accounts recievable not paid. A retailer may want to show a guarantee to a customer, while protecting his middleman position by not revealing the actual maker. But the maker still needs a way to prove his property should recovery become necessary in partial settlements (hard silver having some intrinsic value). A large-scale maker dealing with several retailers over a region might then select a special mark for this line of his business. Perhaps such a mark might be entered as evidence in a legal case, but not being revealed in public records of that case (trade secrets).
mhmorningstar

Post by mhmorningstar »

This is a mark that seems to appear on a lot of pieces with retailers in the area around Detroit and as far East as Erie. Still looking into identifying it.
That would make sense with this one. This piece was purchased at an estate sale in a suburb just outside Detroit.

Return to “Coin Silversmiths ~ American pre-1860”