Mystery caddy Spoon - Provincial?

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Metal-7

Mystery caddy Spoon - Provincial?

Post by Metal-7 »

Although I purchased this in America it somehow "feels" like a British provincial caddy spoon. The style and shape is so typical of the late 1700's in England, with that "thin" feel to it. It weighs in around 1/2 oz or 14 Grams and is just under 4" long. There is a stamped "shell" type pattern around the tip of the handle (too regular for britecut work) and then a very naive pricked tri-lobed leaf pattern in the bowl. The back is marked three times with a pictorial mark (perhaps a very worn Greek Cross - see the Finial Vol 28/04 "Captain's Spoon"). However I am thinking that perhaps it is one of those early American "eagle/bird" type symbols. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am completely stumped on this one!
Best thoughts,
Metal-7

samtron76df

Re: Mystery caddy Spoon - Provincial?

Post by samtron76df »

looks like 3 eagles to me...
silverly

Post by silverly »

Never seen a shell quite like this one on American silver.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Perhaps provincial Denmark? I did once have a spoon which was Provincial Denmark which I confused for American (much to the consternation of a silver expert), and also I believe the "triple mark" has been noted in Provincial Denmark silver, is that correct?
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

The shell motif was noted in this Provincial Denmark Spoon by Peter Pedersen Mollerup, but this spoon is later than your spoon, both share the shell handle end motif, if I had to guess I would say that your spoon is earlier, but how much earlier I am not certain, perhaps circa 1800?
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

I may have been wrong on the "triple mark," but there is reference to a "double mark" which consisted of two "town marks" and two "makers marks"...

"2 times master + 2 times city is a common way of obtaining 4 marks at danish provins silver."
Metal-7

Post by Metal-7 »

That is an interesting thought. The pricking in the bowl does remind me of Dutch work, also the stamped shell motif does appear to be very similar, and I have seen later spoons with a sillier stamped shell motif. My only concern with that line of thought is the shape. Dutch Caddy spoons from the early 1800's were such a very different shape, here is one from 1817 the forerunner of the classic Dutch shovel style.

Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Thrice marked items have appeared in a few threads. One mark was ascribed to an Irish maker. Another had the general appearance of (oversized) French, but was though to possibly relate to an emigrant smith working in colonial areas. So far, there seems to be no rational explanation for a single mark triple stamped other than the suggestion of following localized practices of making a guarantee.
Metal-7

Post by Metal-7 »

Thank you very much for your responses, most thought provoking! I will continue to research and see what I come up with. Best thoughts, Metal-7
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

An afterthought on marks alone (not object style)...blurred eagles (looking rubbed) are often found for New York and Philadelphia (or Pennsy) makers and this question has come from New York.

Return to “Coin Silversmiths ~ American pre-1860”