I.R Mark on Hollow Handle Carving Fork

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
hpidaves

I.R Mark on Hollow Handle Carving Fork

Post by hpidaves »

Hello,
I have an 8 inch hollow handle carving fork with steel/iron tines. The handle has only one mark on it -- "I.R" with the dot centered (not near the bottom). This mark appears to be of John Roberts, but everything I have seen of him adds the "& Co" mark after the "I.R". Also, there are no hallmarks or any other marks at all on the piece.

I know that John Roberts was Sheffield, but I see no hallmarks, so I tried the coin silver section first. I apologize if this is not the right place, but as I said, I'm just not sure what this is.

Any help in identifying this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Traintime
contributor

Re: I.R Mark on Hollow Handle Carving Fork

Post by Traintime »

Seeing reflective points, but not sure those are dot or pellet...so, here's three possible at bottom left of page: https://www.sterlingflatwarefashions.co ... nitI2.html

Joseph Richardson (Philadelphia) would be the "Senior" (junior used other marks).
hpidaves

Post by hpidaves »

Thank you for the help. There is a dot between the letters, so it would be James Roe or John Ross, leaning toward John Ross. According to the link you gave me, he shows working 1790-98. Would that make this sterling or coin?
Thanks.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Coin silver from the Early American period just after the Colonial American period, so this would be approximately 90% silver, but actual percentages can vary :: And this is one of the earliest "Shell Motif" design elements I have seen on an American piece of silver, but just for the record here is what another expert has commented regarding the shell motif on early american silver:

"By the time of [the 1820's], shell, thead, and shell/thread patterns were all well-established and had been for close to two decades."
hpidaves

Post by hpidaves »

Thank you so much!
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

I would not rule out the possibility that this is the work and mark of John Rowbotham of Sheffield, but offering it only as a route for further research.

Trev.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

I was thinking that as well, make sure there are no other hallmarks (completely rubbed off) on the silver, and I was also thinking about how uncommon this form is from an American silversmith, I have still been thinking about this object :::::

Return to “Coin Silversmiths ~ American pre-1860”