Unidentified Initial marks on coin silver

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
samtron76df

Unidentified Initial marks on coin silver

Post by samtron76df »

This is a general question as it relates to (assumed) coin silver items marked with a makers mark that are initials and nothing else. For example - PR in a rectangle, where the is no record of that particular mark found in any mainstream reference book or website. (This is just used as an example).

What other countries might have produced silver where only initial marks where used - with no other marks on a piece.

Thank you in advance.
Aguest
contributor

Re: Unidentified Initial marks on coin silver

Post by Aguest »

This is why we need to see the entire piece, there are many examples of silver bearing only a makers mark (PR for example) but when the entire piece is shown it will help to narrow down the search to a certain country.

Examples of silver bearing only makers marks off the top of my head: American Colonial Silver, Provincial Denmark Silver, 17th Century German Silver, Early 19th century Canadian Silver, and even some silver from Early 18th century London can bear only makers marks.

There are just too many possibilities, that's why a pic of the entire object along with a close-up of the makers mark is the best way to approach a piece of silver.
samtron76df

Post by samtron76df »

Here are a few pics. Any info appreciated. Tks

samtron76df

Post by samtron76df »

I'd also be interested to learn what type of spoons these are - meaning what they are intended for. The handle is so small that it looks like they were meant to be used for stirring. Is there a particular name for this style?
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

I believe they are "melon spoons" sometimes called "fruit spoons" and they have a pointed tip which is essential for the scooping of melons and other fruits would need this pointed tip :: I have been trying to figure out the maker, but I haven't come up with the answer, I have a feeling that they are American Coin Silver, made somewhere around the first half of the 19th century (1800-1850), and they are really unlike any design I have ever seen because the handles are so short compared to the shafts and bowls :::

I haven't figured out who the "PR" is, maybe this is an unrecorded silversmith with "No Maker's Mark Recorded" but I am still hoping the mystery can be solved, you would think it would be easier to figure this one out, but it has been difficult :::::
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

If this is late in Paul Revere's career, or if perhaps it is Paul Revere III, I certainly am not qualified to make that judgement, if it is either Paul Revere or a relative of Paul Revere, it would require analysis by someone else, someone more qualified than myself ::: I do see a reference to a "PR" described as "SMALL CRUDE CAPITALS IN RECTANGLE" from the book by Hollis French, but I can find no actual example of this hallmark to compare, there is a small hand-written image of this hallmark in the Hollis French book, but I am not qualified to make a judgement here ::
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Also listed in the book by Ernest M. Currier:
PAUL REVERE, JR.:
"? ^Initials, capitals in rectangle."

It seems as if this "PR" hallmark has been encountered before, and it was hypothesized to be a late hallmark of Paul Revere Jr., but the authors seem to be not certain of the attribution, at least this is how I interpret the reference books :::
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

I have never seen the block letters of Paul Revere, but here is another reference which implies that the "PR" in block letters was used on smaller items such as teaspoons (has anyone ever seen the "PR" in block letters?) :::

"Revere’s marks featured either his surname “REVERE” in a rectangle, used on larger items, or his initials “PR” in italic or block letters, used on smaller items such as teaspoons."
samtron76df

Post by samtron76df »

Aguest - thank you for taking the time to look into these spoons. Still doing some investigating and your expertise is appreciated. The shape is unusual and unlike anything cataloged/sold for Revere that I have come across in some web searches. Will keep digging. Tks.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Agreed, the shape is very unusual for Paul Revere, and really the shape is very unusual for any silversmith :: They are almost "folk art" in their shape, like a silversmith with a very independent and iconoclastic mind created these spoons, they seem not to adhere to traditional rules because their handle is so short and their stem is so long, the proportions are very unusual :::::

Strange that I have found three reference books that mention the crude PR block letters in a rectangle, yet I can find no actual photograph of an example of this hallmark, it must be quite rare is my assumption :::: I'm not sure who is the leading authority on the hallmarks of Paul Revere, but perhaps that person could be located and consulted :
samtron76df

Post by samtron76df »

Found this:

https://library.si.edu/digital-library/ ... amer00curr

Page 117. Shows possible mark with a question mark notation. Doesn't really look like the mark on these spoons.

Return to “Coin Silversmiths ~ American pre-1860”