coin silver spoon marked EXC

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
samtron76df

coin silver spoon marked EXC

Post by samtron76df »

Have a teaspoon with a mark on the side of the handle stem that says "EXC". No other marks. Not sure if it is coin or sterling or something else. Anyone ever seen this before or can tell me what this is? Tks

samtron76df

Re: coin silver spoon marked EXC

Post by samtron76df »

Pic of spoon:

samtron76df

Post by samtron76df »

back of spoon: Image

apologize for numerous posts - can't figure out how to edit original post to put other pics in it...
silverly

Post by silverly »

Maybe FXC (Francis Xavier C?). Not necessarily coin. Sorry not much genuine assistance.
samtron76df

Post by samtron76df »

thank you for the reply. where would I find that makers information?
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

I don't believe that was more than a suggestion of a possible way to interpret the initials. In a situation like this, much may be derived from the spoon style, the type of drop, the location of marks etc....all complicated and often subjective. Trying to search for marks on the handle side or edge of spoons yields little past threads beyond some Russian related fakery (completely different marks from this). The "X" letter mark is either poor or damaged and could even be "X.". So, might consider that "FX." could be an abbreviation for Felix, and thus "Felix C" or perhaps "Felix G". And searching that way, all I find is Felix Cheron who is a French plater related to the complex history of Gallia...but this is not the kind of mark we expect in French plated wares. Without knowing the actual metal content in this spoon, it will probably be a painful journey to find the mark source (maker, retailer, etc.) unless a lucky break comes from someone who has carefully studied anomalies or happens to be familiar with this exact form.
samtron76df

Post by samtron76df »

Thank you for the reply. Guess I'll need to get it tested to narrow down my search. Appreciate the info and suggestions. I'll post results when I find out about metal content...
samtron76df

Post by samtron76df »

Had this spoon XRF tested and it came in at 89.8% silver. It was also hypothesized that the mark could read F&C with the X actually being a squashed ampersand. So this is coin silver from somewhere...
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Damaged "F&G"? Fletcher & Gardiner mark just for letter comparison: https://www.sterlingflatwarefashions.co ... /SSF3.html
samtron76df

Post by samtron76df »

Thanks for the possible suggestion. Will keep digging. The side marking is likely a clue.

Return to “Coin Silversmiths ~ American pre-1860”