Coin Silver Spoon - mark "E pellet J"

PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
samtron76df

Coin Silver Spoon - mark "E pellet J"

Post by samtron76df »

Trying to locate the maker of this spoon which has the mark "E pellet J". 9" coin silver serving spoon. Would anyone know who this is? Any info. appreciated.

samtron76df

Re: Coin Silver Spoon - mark "E pellet J"

Post by samtron76df »

this spoon xrf tested 91.8% silver... the plot thickens...
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

I have been thinking about Provincial Denmark based on a few spoons I was able to identify with just two initials in a square cartouche, and the "diamond-shaped drop" is so distinctive it makes me think about Belgium and Switzerland (countries with a French influence), but now that I remember Maltese silversmiths did use a 917 standard, so is that close enough to the 918 to make this possibly from Malta? (Portugal also had a 917 standard)

I've been trying, at least :::: right?
samtron76df

Post by samtron76df »

thanks for trying. i'll have to research that general area. the info is (likely) out there somewhere...
legrandmogol
contributor

Post by legrandmogol »

The spoon looks very American to me. Is it kind of flimsy? If so then it is almost certainly American. Perhaps it is an unknown makers mark for Emmor Jefferis of Delaware who worked from 1827 - 1842 in Wilmington. It would fit the era of this spoon. Pure speculation though.
silverly

Post by silverly »

I don't believe flatware of varying weight (i.e. per dozen spoons) is unique to U S flatware. However, I would not be surprised if this spoon is found to be American.
samtron76df

Post by samtron76df »

The spoon has a coin silver "feel" to it with some springiness in the handle. I am hoping it is American and have been trying to find makers whose initials are EJ. Have found a couple so far that fit into the time frame of 1815-1845 which I think this falls into. Came across the website openlibrary.org which has a few old silversmith books scanned that you can view -- including Langdon's Canadian Silversmiths.
samtron76df

Post by samtron76df »

There is an Elisha Johnson of Greensboro, NC working around circa 1840 who "repaired clocks and watches and made silver spoons to order". Also an E. Jones from Baltimore, MD., circa 1820. Both don't have marks listed.

An Eliza Jones of NY, circa 1827-1833, but his mark is listed differently.

Wonder how you go about getting an actual attribution to a maker if their mark is unknown...

Return to “Coin Silversmiths ~ American pre-1860”