Rio de Janeiro mark? FVB

Jewelry, Flatware & Holloware
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Francais

Rio de Janeiro mark? FVB

Post by Francais »

I have had this ladle and some time ago I decided the mark was some kind of 19th c. Rio de Janeiro mark. I came to this conclusion on my own and have seen the marks on other sites, always listed as unknown. I would like to know who the FVB maker is, and also if I am right that the lady's head with RJ underneath is a Rio mark, and of course if anyone knows the age.
Thanks,
Maurice
marcondes

Re: Rio de Janeiro mark? FVB

Post by marcondes »

Hi Maurice,

Yess, it is a mark of Rio de Janeiro. The maker could be either Francisco Victor Bennassi ca. 1836 or Francisco Victor Bernard 1817-1826.

Regards,
Marcondes
Francais

Post by Francais »

Hi,
Thanks, that is very helpful, although neither seems to turn up examples on the internet. I think the last name of Bennassi must be Benassi,
I don't speak Portuguese, although my uncle was fluent in it. I usually say that Google answers all questions, although in this case you beat them soundly.
Thanks,
Maurice
marcondes

Post by marcondes »

Thanks, Maurice!

In fact I think Bennassi was the spelling of XIX century! In this book, "O ofício da prata no Brasil - Rio de Janeiro", all the names have the older spelling! ;-)
Regards,
Marcondes
Francais

Post by Francais »

Ah, again I bow to your superior knowledge, and thanks for the reference, although I probably will not ever need it again. Still it is always good to give references as eventually I think this site might be the refuge for what will eventually be "lost" information.
Thanks again.
Maurice
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

The lower mark contained in the FVB punch is to me a mystery, but a friend has perhaps provided the answer.

It is perhaps the 'Phrygian cap' that is also contained within the Arms of Rio:

Trev.
Francais

Post by Francais »

You know I get mad when other people post lousy photos, then I am too lazy to post a good one. Actually for some reason, perhaps because the mark is so deep, my camera doesn't want to focus correctly. In any case it is an animal, it looks like an echidna, but considering it is Brazil, it guess it must be a giant anteater. It has a very pointed nose, and little feet.
But that must be the same mark, although it is unfortunately and unknown maker.
Personally I would have preferred a Phrygian cap.
Maurice

Return to “Central & South America”