900 Silver Letter Opener

Jewelry, Flatware & Holloware
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
NancyCaroline

900 Silver Letter Opener

Post by NancyCaroline »

Hi,
I recently purchased this Chinese motif letter opener. Mark is quite worn. No success with research. Can anyone comment? Thanks.
Nancy

davidross
contributor

Re: 900 Silver Letter Opener

Post by davidross »

Could the uppermost mark be "plata"? If so, this would mark would be from a Spanish-speaking country.

While the subject matter is undeniably Oriental, the letter opener may not be of Asian origin. The marks are not written in an Asian language, and do not look like Asian marks to me.

If an adminstrator would move this post to "Other Countries," it might generate a more satisfactory response. Sorry that I cannot be of more help.

Regards,

DR
NancyCaroline

Post by NancyCaroline »

Thank you David. I think you are correct. Using Plata 900 I was able to find a few other pieces of silver marked PLATA FEBI 900. South American, possibly Chilean. Very helpful & much appreciated.
Best,
Nancy
davidross
contributor

Post by davidross »

Hi Nancy

I think you have solved the mystery. Thanks for sharing your results.

Do you have a sense of the age of the letter opener? The oriental figure is rendered in a late Victorian style (Mikado, Madama Butterfly, etc), but the finishing looks more mid-20th century mass-produced.

It seems that few South American marks have been identified as yet, but the indefatigable Trev (Dognose) has recently started a new thread on the topic in the Contributor's Notes.

Glad I could point you toward the right direction after all.

Cheers,

David

Return to “Central & South America”