Help to ID PT 905 Mark on Hammered Silver Teapot

Jewelry, Flatware & Holloware
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
dasis72

Help to ID PT 905 Mark on Hammered Silver Teapot

Post by dasis72 »

I have what I believe is a well done hammered teapot. Mark on bottom reads PT905 inside a shape similar to a diamond. I'm not sure of the composition but am certain it is silver or silverplate. Any ideas as to who could have made this piece or the origin? There is also a calligraphy G monogrammed on the front.

Thanks so much,

Rebecca
dasis72

Sterling Hammered Silver Teapot, Help w Maker PT 905

Post by dasis72 »

I have a beautiful large sterling silver teapot, 995 grams marked on bottom PT905 inside a kite shape. At first I was unsure of the composition mostly because of the weight, so I started with an acid scratch test and knew for sure it was at least silverplated but it just had the qualities and finish of solid silver. At first I didn't want to damage the item by doing an acid file test, in the case it was only silverplated and leave an acid mark. Well I took the plunge and did a deep file test on the base in a groove where hopefully it wouldn't be noticeable. I bought new acid and did the test and let the acid just sit in the groove and surrounding surface. While using a jewelry loupe I observed and there was absolutely no fizzing or green. Immediately after I used some mild silver polish and the small dull spot the acid left cleaned up to absolute perfection, as if I never did the test. I did the test twice just to be sure. I'm pretty confident at this point this is solid silver, at least 925. I'm at a loss as to who could be the maker and can't find ANY information on this mark. It is certainly a quality piece. There is also a single calligraphy G monogrammed on the front. Any help with the age, period, style maker, or origin would be greatly appreciated. I have a hunch it might be a central or south american piece.

Thanks so much,

Rebecca
Traintime
contributor

Re: Help to ID PT 905 Mark on Hammered Silver Teapot

Post by Traintime »

Some trophy companies had similar marks...might search that route. Also, that style of "g" monograph may relate to the Greenbrier Hotel in White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia..another possible avenue of research.
dasis72

Re: Help to ID PT 905 Mark on Hammered Silver Teapot

Post by dasis72 »

Thank you!

Return to “Central & South America”