What does this mark mean, and is this a signot ring?

Jewelry, Flatware & Holloware
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Slindley2016

What does this mark mean, and is this a signot ring?

Post by Slindley2016 »

Thanks in advance. I am trying to figure out who made this ring and if it was used for wax seals? Or was it just a ring with gold and silver in it? It seems to have a 925 and an 18k stamp as well.

AG2012
contributor

Re: What does this mark mean, and is this a signot ring?

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
Looks like Mexican (Aztec, Maya) oxidized silver and fused gold (or brass).
The motif is purely decorative, not a signet ring.
Cannot recognize maker`s mark. Where is 18K?
Cheers
Slindley2016

Post by Slindley2016 »

Thank you very much for the help. The 18k is right above the 925. It is wearing down a little but if you look at it right you can see the 18 and the K especially using a loupe. But thank you again.
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Hi - your ring is Peruvian, the figure believed to represent legendary Lambayeque first ruler Naymlap, he's most often found at the top of ceremonial Tumi knives, national symbol of Peru. Can't say that I can see '18K' in your pic, but it wouldn't be an unusual combination...

~Cheryl
Slindley2016

Post by Slindley2016 »

After more digging I was able to find the exact same ring on eBay and other like it. Seems they are from Peru area and maybe date back to 1950s. Not sure how true that is but at least I now know more than I did yesterday. Now I just need to know what the stamp that says RI and the he number mean. Still open to suggestions.

Thanks everyone.
Slindley2016

Post by Slindley2016 »

Hi Cheryl. I just seen your post right after my latest one. You have now given me more information and I really appreciate it. I am proud to say I only paid $2 for this ring at an antique mall. And the 18k stamp is right above the 925 and the pictures make it hard to see. But it is there. Thank you again Cheryl for all your valuable information.

Return to “Central & South America”