"PERU 925" nazca lines pinstick/pin.

Jewelry, Flatware & Holloware
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Amorales37

"PERU 925" nazca lines pinstick/pin.

Post by Amorales37 »

Hello everyone, im hoping to find some help here with these 3 pieces I luckily came upon. The mark shows "PERU 925" One of which is fading more then the rest. I understand these are from Peru, but any idea of maker, age or what these were used for exactly? Thanks in advance.

Aguest
contributor

Re: "PERU 925" nazca lines pinstick/pin.

Post by Aguest »

These are usually referred to as "Hat Pins" but yours might specifically be an "Ascot Pin"...

Ascot Stickpin: A metal 'stick' with an adornment (in your case Nazca Lines) at the top and a 'clutch' at the bottom (to keep you from poking yourself and to keep your pin secure). It's one of the oldest styles of pins, often worn on lapels, ties and lady's hats. It is very well suited to ascot wear over a tie tack or other style pin, because the long 'stick' helps keep the entire ascot secure, and the two flaps of fabric from separating while being worn works great on a scarf as well. (the best description I could find)

The "Ascot" is a type of necktie for men, and there were two types, one for formal occasions and one for informal occasions (called a Cravat).

I think a "Hat Pin" is usually slightly longer, and ladies would wear them on their hats, particularly from 1850-1920, but in earlier times as well....

The difference is slight, but I think you have Ascot Pins, if I had to hazard a guess....

As far as how old they are, the general age range is approximately 1945-1980, and these were made for the tourist trade as a lot of tourists began to explore the ruins of Macchu Picchu and also wanted to see the Nazca Lines, inspired by magazine articles which showed these ancient sites. The Nazca Lines in particular created a sensation when they were first seen from aircraft, and the pictures captured by cameras on the airplanes were so spectacular, they encouraged a large tourist trade to flock to Peru.

Peru is a country very rich in silver (and gold), and many local artists became silversmiths, unfortunately unless there is a specific makers mark, it is difficult to attribute a piece to a certain maker. It would be difficult to figure out who made these, but they are nice, and to have a set of three is also quite nice indeed.
Amorales37

Post by Amorales37 »

Awesome, I really appreciate all the info you provided. I'm glad to be part of these group.
Amorales37

Post by Amorales37 »

...also sorry for such a late reply. I never realized I received a response, thanks again!

Return to “Central & South America”