Aesthetic Movement Silver Leaf Applied Bug?

Jewelry, Flatware & Holloware
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
Anna310

Aesthetic Movement Silver Leaf Applied Bug?

Post by Anna310 »

If anyone can identify this mark I would really appreciate it - it's a frosted silver leaf object with an applied spider possibly dating back to the early 1900s. There are no marks on the base that I make out - only a very small oblong-shaped mark on the front on the the edge of the leaf which looks like a dragon's mouth or a whale? I have another silver piece from this maker with this same mark, an apple form tea caddy with applied leaf. Thanks very much in advance!!

dognose
Site Admin

Re: Aesthetic Movement Silver Leaf Applied Bug?

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Please embed your images.

Trev.
Anna310

Post by Anna310 »

Hi Trev,
Phpbb isn't working on my system - I used tinypi.com because the help section here suggested it - is there another way to embed photos?
Thanks
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Tinypi is fine, but copy and paste the 'IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards'

Trev.
Anna310

Post by Anna310 »

okay thanks -

Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Could you kindly show the hallmark on the similar tea caddy you mention?___I can't really figure out if that hallmark has been mis-struck or not, it might be a Japanese maker's mark, but really I can't see the shape of a whale in that hallmark, and I don't see any letters or Japanese characters___

I get an overall Japanese "feeling" here, but this is a difficult mystery___
Anna310

Post by Anna310 »

Thank you so much for replying and also for asking for a pic of the other mark - when polishing the apple caddy I found an additional mark - it looks easier to identify and possibly Japanese like you thought.
The first pic is a similar mark to the leaf's on the side of the apple - the second pic is the mark on the apple base. The apple top is hammered silver unlike the leaf but the leaf texture and stem are identical. I'm pretty certain it's the same maker.
Thank you for trying!

dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

The style of the mark and the way the silver content (0900) is expressed (upside down in your image) points to Columbia.

See here for similar marking: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 38&t=35433

I'll move the topic to the South American section of the forum.

Trev.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

It might be a matching set, the "Tea Caddy" sometimes has a similar "Tea Caddy Spoon" which is used to scoop tea out of the tea caddy___These spoons always have a short handle, and although the leaf-part doesn't look like the bowl of a traditional tea caddy spoon, it might be an artist's interpretation of a tea caddy spoon so it is breaking the usual rules in an artistic sort of way___

That is my best guess, a tea caddy and a tea caddy spoon from a maker in Colombia, I am uncertain if this particular Colombian maker has ever been identified, but it has been linked to Colombia___
Anna310

Post by Anna310 »

I should have noted the measurements - the silver leaf is 9 inches long and the apple form caddy is only 4" wide - I think the leaf is a figural objet d'art. I have other pieces from Bogota but they look to be a different maker, E. Gutierrez Vega - very fine hammered silver trays and finger bowls with a more delicate distinctive style.
Thank you and Trev very much - you've been very helpful!

Return to “Central & South America”