Origin of a silver statue (portuguese ?)

Jewelry, Flatware & Holloware
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
dinio
contributor

Origin of a silver statue (portuguese ?)

Post by dinio »

Hi,

I have a small silver statue (15 cm, 180 gr) which I believe was made in Lisbon (Portugal) at the beginning of the XXth century, but I am not sure.

Does anybody recognize the town mark precisely and also the maker's mark, in order to get an accurate age ?

Here is the statue:

and here are the hallmarks:

Thanks in advance

Dinio
2209patrick
co-admin

Post by 2209patrick »

I believe you are correct in saying the crown over L mark represents Lisbon, Portugal. Two of my books have it being used from 1881-1887.
Can't help you with the maker's mark.

Regards,
Pat.
dinio
contributor

Post by dinio »

Hi Pat,
Tardy's book, which is my reference, represents exactly this kind of crown over an L for Lisbon 1881-1886, but within an ellips, not within the 6-sided polygonal shape which is present on this hallmark. This discrepancy lead me to think that it could be a later hallmark, sometime between 1886 and the beginning of the 20C.
In your references, do you have an exact match with the external shape of the hallmark ?
Thanks a lot for your help.
Regards,
Dinio
2209patrick
co-admin

Post by 2209patrick »

I see what you mean about the outline of the mark, it is different from Tardy's. I have attached a scan from Jan Divis's book, the marks look the same as Tardy's. I looked through both books, but could not find a similar mark.

http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/3202 ... 003px1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm sure someone with more experience with these marks will come along and help you. I deal with mostly American silver.

Regards,
Pat.
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Origin of a silver statue (portuguese ?)

Post by dognose »

Hi,

I'm informed by a friend who has been reviewing some of the older posts, that the 'crowned L' mark pictured here, is in fact a Brazilian pseudo mark used in the last quarter of the 19th century.

The item is a toothpick holder, a popular item in 19th century Brazil.

The maker 'TAP' is unknown to him, but with the above information in mind, perhaps another member has some thoughts?

Trev.
marcondes

Post by marcondes »

Hi,
The maker "TAP" is Thomaz de Aquino Pereira 1831-1851.
Best regards,
Marcondes
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Marcondes,

Many thanks for taking the time to add the information to this topic. It's very much appreciated.

Trev.
dinio
contributor

Post by dinio »

Hi Marcondes and dognose,

Thanks a lot Marcondes for this final identification!

Thanks also Dognose and other admins for this website: this identification, almost 7 years after my initial post, appears to me as a great example of its immense value!

Dinio

Return to “Central & South America”