South American? Very odd spoon

Jewelry, Flatware & Holloware
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
natahoa

South American? Very odd spoon

Post by natahoa »

I just purchased a very odd sterling (tests 900+) silver spoon. The only mark is "HOC." Please see photos. Does anyone know what this could be, where it was made, and/or where I can find a reference to similar marks?
natahoa

Post by natahoa »

dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Well, Rainwater IDs it as a Chilean Araucanian Indian Topu or Tobu, used for holding a blanket around the shoulders and as hair ornaments, occasionally see them IDed as Mapuche shawl pins. Personally, believe most of these are 20th century tourist pieces based on the Incan Tupu (clothes or shawl pin) and most likely from Peru.

Cheryl ;o)
natahoa

Post by natahoa »

Thank you very much! After I posted this I found the shawl or mantle pins on eBay with the sharp pointed ends and realized this was probably a similar item. It's hard to see why someone would want a spoon-shaped mantle pin, though.

My guess is that it is a late 19th or early 20th century "souvenir spoon." Victorians and Edwardians loved to travel, and sterling souvenir spoons were all the rage. The enterprising artisans of the area most likely made these as souvenirs to sell to tourists.

Nancy
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

There is an interesting article on these tupos at ->
http://www.ascasonline.org/articoloM53.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

That is an interesting article, the "topo" spelling is a new one for me. Have heard theories that the spoon shaped ones were inspired by spoons brought by the Spaniards. Have also seen them with dangling charms similar to Mexican Milagros, one that sticks in my mind had tiny little spoons, cups and bowls attached. Rainwater's Spoons Around the World shows a couple with the dangles. My first interest was sparked by one that I acquired about 20 years ago in a box lot that included several Mexican and South American souvenir spoons, very simple and small (just under 4"), crudely made, always assumed it was brass or bronze, though a jewelry collector friend insists it should be tested for gold. Would dismiss her thought entirely, except after all these years it still retains the same shine and color without any signs of tarnish or verdi-gris.

Cheryl ;o)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I've always found them interesting, here's a few I have laying around.

Return to “Central & South America”