W or M under / over rising sun Bolo Tie

Navajo, Zuni & Hopi
PHOTOS REQUIRED - marks + item
coreya

W or M under / over rising sun Bolo Tie

Post by coreya »

Picked this Bolo Tie up at a garage sale and it tests as silver but I cannot find the maker. Any help would be appreciated.
AG2012
contributor

Re: W or M under / over rising sun Bolo Tie

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
The mark is upside down, more probably ``M`` because there was an example with ``Sterling`` over ``M``.
Not identified.
Regards
coreya

Post by coreya »

I thought it odd that a symbol associated with a rising sun would be placed below a letter ( M ) rather than above a letter ( W ) and I saw the example you mentioned but was hoping something new had popped up. Thanks
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Could be either M or W so best to check both those letters in the hallmark books :::

Found this one which is listed as "Unidentified" and seeking help to find similar pieces or perhaps someone who worked alongside this maker...

Of course, now the upload is failing, but it was a "sunshine symbol over an M" very similar to yours, with a "Sterling" in italics underneath it....

I will try to upload the photo tomorrow, the image loading software sometimes works well and sometimes it fails....
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Doesn't match exactly the hallmark I was looking at, so I guess for now your hallmark is unidentified, but the silversmithing work on your bolo is very high quality, so I would be surprised if an expert on Native American jewelry could not find the maker. The books on Native American jewelry are still the authority, and the internet only has an incomplete listing at the "Art-Ameridian" website, so I wouldn't be surprised if a maker was found.

The silver inlay pattern on the cheek of the Native American does seem more like the Hopi tradition of silversmithing, that is an interesting detail.
However, given the overall structure of the piece, it could also be Navajo.
coreya

Post by coreya »

Thanks I will keep looking!

Return to “Native American Silver”