salt - how to make the glass

Questions on polishing, restoration, conservation + manufacturing techniques
Hose_dk
contributor

salt - how to make the glass

Post by Hose_dk »

I have 2 German salt where the glass pieces are long gone. Have never had these proberly blue glass inline.

To test I have bought 2 cheap modern glasses. They are ideal because of the thin stain. (is that the Word?) My first try was a saw. But that did not Work. Therefor I took a pice of iron and a hammer.

This test proved that the idea could Work. The bowls however has a curved shape ant that press the bowl up. Second the bowls are to high. How to find a antique glass? in correct size.

In Denmark we have a glass called Murat. It dates from 1900-1940. Different size -port would be fine. Produced at many factories and they all had different size - differs 1 or 2 mm. Its hand made and has oliv decoration. A glass cost between 10DKK and 50DKK - 1£ to 5£. I know a place where Price is 1£ because nobody dring port. I got 2.
http://www.hardernet.dk/Stemware/Murat- ... 0-1940.htm

They helped me and we cut one. Perfect fit. But when I left the car i lost IT :-(
10.000 pieces - but thats off. I have had a glass and now i broke it. Never the less I have one glass to test.
I used a file - as simple as that. But it worked fine.
It Works. Need a bit of using the file.
I still need some working.

Not finished yet, but with some filing it can Work. Now I need a second glass - shops are closed, but Next weekend I will
complete.

Anyone with other ideas ?
Hose_dk
contributor

Re: salt - how to make the glass

Post by Hose_dk »

Different sized needed. The blue glass in the boat shaped is original. Glad that its OK.
The blue round is a bit to small, so it must be something else than original. A Old Sheffild Plate in oval is missing.
A silver piece also oval (the samll of the oval) - not only glass but so difficuld shapes - how to???

Finaly a mustard cup anno 1800 the "glass" is made of metal. And painted to give a light blue colour.
Image Image

Anyone that have ideas. Go to a glass maker, yes that possible but Price would amount to much more than these simpel pieces would cost with original glass. Alternative solutions otherwise they will remain useless for ever. Always searching for a possible match.
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

Bought more glasses today. First you use a file to scrach the glass where it should break.
Image Image
Carefull with the hammer.
Image Image
Now both have glass (semi antique - anno 1920ties) Olive decoration. Hand made glass.
As close as original as can be - the blue glass is imposible to find in size and with some age. So untill I find the original blue and old. I have - what I will claim original.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Hose,

Make sure you're wearing eye protection, and if filing/grinding glass, a breathing mask also.

Trev.
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

yes you are right. I did not. I was thinking of protecting my hands but not even that.
I must remember that next time. For the time being I have no more to cut. But a pair of glases is so very cheap comparred tp risk.

Return to “Silver Care / Techniques”