Karl A. Rasmussen Earrings?

Questions on polishing, restoration, conservation + manufacturing techniques
kleffy

Karl A. Rasmussen Earrings?

Post by kleffy »

Hello all, I hope it's alright to ask this question here. I got a pair of Karl A. Rasmussen earrings from my grandmother, and I'm trying to determine if the material attaching the ear wire to the earring is lead solder. Does it appear to be lead? I am completely inexperienced with researching jewelry materials. How can I go about identifying this material? Thanks in advance for your help!!

AG2012
contributor

Re: Karl A. Rasmussen Earrings?

Post by AG2012 »

More precisely tin solder 60/40 Tin/lead, which melts at less than 200 °C. And it`s very soft, too, easily scratched with the tip of a needle. I am sure a reputable jeweler would have not used it; the finish is very rude. Can you show the front of the earrings, please? That`s important; if they are enameled (most likely, having in mind what K.Rasmussen made), hard soldering repair (at much higher temperatures) would be impossible because enamel cracks beyond repair.
In short, check the solder with a needle (although I am almost sure it`s lead/tin) and show us the front. Then we will discuss the best way to repair them.
They are worth repairing.
Kindest regards
kleffy

Post by kleffy »

AG2012 - Thank you for your reply! Greatly appreciated! I checked the solder with a needle and was able to make a mark/impression. I'm guessing this would confirm the 60/40 tin/lead solder composition? The fronts are below. Thanks again!

AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Yes, it`s lead/tin for sure.Fortunately, whoever did it, did not destroy the enamel.They had clip on fittings (most probably) but converted to wire loops.It`s OK. Thinking what`s the best way to have them professionally repaired.Will let you know as soon as possible.
Regards
kleffy

Post by kleffy »

AG2012 wrote:Yes, it`s lead/tin for sure.Fortunately, whoever did it, did not destroy the enamel.They had clip on fittings (most probably) but converted to wire loops.It`s OK. Thinking what`s the best way to have them professionally repaired.Will let you know as soon as possible.
Regards
Thanks again for your help!!
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

This is how I would do it:
Some of the steps are easily done at home, depending on your skill. But for the rest of the job you will need a jeweler who is willing to help.
1. Remove lower, dangling part of your earrings for easier manipulation (small pliers).
2. Use solder iron to remove old tin/lead solder. Remove as much as possible with hot tip of the solder iron. To protect enamel better use thick gloves than pliers.
3. Polish the surface to remove traces of old tin/lead solder (either done by hand with the finest grain jeweler’s sandpaper or on the jeweler’s wheel.).
Then you will need small silver disc and silver wire.
A..Round Engravable .925 silver pendant disc in adequate size, depending on your earrings.
B.. Earring hooks ear wires (fish hook)
They can be bought, but I suppose every jeweler has them as spare parts or in stock (sterling silver).

4. Hook wire should be hard soldered at the right angle to the disc A along red dots (the thickness of the disc can be reduced if necessary).
(See the image)
5. Then the disc should be soft soldered to the back of upper part of the earrings, shown as B (cleaned of old soft solder), taking care the solder does not flow off the disc borders (the smallest possible amount of soft solder is needed).
6. Dangling part is easily attached with small silver link.
Of course, the suggested procedure is needed because of the enamel. When done, the earrings will look nice and tidy.
(``Clip on fitting`` is more difficult to attach in this particular case, and besides, sooner or later one of the earrings will be lost).
I hope this helps, the jeweler’s job will be easier if you know what’s needed to be done and printed scheme shown to him).
There are other solutions, but again, this is what I would do. The proportions in my image are not quite right, I used your pictures and wire hooks from elsewhere to Photoshop them in a rather schematic drawing for better explanation ``how it`s done``. Your jeweler will adjust dimensions for optimal aesthetic result (length of wire, links, size of the disc etc.)
Take care of the enamel all the time and do not allow hard soldering at any cost, enamel would crack beyond repair!
Good luck.
Regards

Return to “Silver Care / Techniques”