Silver and Safe Wrapping Materials

Questions on polishing, restoration, conservation + manufacturing techniques
Kit

Silver and Safe Wrapping Materials

Post by Kit »

I will be packing up and mailing some sterling soon, but I started worrying about using common tissue paper (something about sulphur and paper production.) Would someone on the board be willing to write a few wise words about safe wrappings? I think we all know about rubber bands, but perhaps not.
Thanks, Kit
Granmaa
co-admin

Post by Granmaa »

Acid free tissue paper is what most people use; eBay has it. However, I have never encountered any corrosion caused by kitchen towels or even toilet paper.

Miles
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Common plastic shopping bags seem to be inert, and lord knows they are plentiful. I wrap first in a plastic bag, then pad with paper (any sort) and bubble.
Funny you should mention the rubber bands, bought a pair of coin silver spoons yesterday, rubberbanded together and both etched on the stems as a result. Got them from a longtime silver dealer who didn't know, and it turns out, didn't care about the resulting damage. Would be great if someone would elaborate on why rubber bands + silver are a no-no.

Regards, Tom
bluidbear3

Re: Silver and Safe Wrapping Materials

Post by bluidbear3 »

The sulpher in the rubber bands reacts with the silver causing stains and even scars if left on for a long time. Not good to wrap plastic food wrap around silver either for similar results occur. Not sure if sulpher is the culprit with the plastic wrap, but I have seen the scarring left by wrapping silver that way.

Return to “Silver Care / Techniques”