pattern identity ??

If you know the maker, but not the pattern. - PHOTO REQUIRED
jmaps23

pattern identity ??

Post by jmaps23 »

Hi , could anyone identify this pattern. The spoon is assayed in Glasgow 1848, unfortunately i have not been able to find the makers name. Thanks for your help. James
oel
co-admin

Re: pattern identity ??

Post by oel »

Hi,
Do not know the pattern.
For the maker, check out; W Jenkins, Dumbarton

http://www.silvermakersmarks.co.uk/Make ... -SZ.html#W

Best,

Oel
jmaps23

Post by jmaps23 »

Thanks for the maker info Oel, much appreciated. still no luck with the pattern but will keep digging .
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi James,

The pattern is Queen's, sometimes referred to as Rosette.

As to the maker, I would be more comfortable with William Jaffray. I say this as I find it a little doubtful that a small provincial outfit such as Jenkins would be in possession of the very expensive dies required to make such flatware as this.

The single-struck (one side only patterned) version of this type of flatware is typically Scottish.

Trev.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi Trev,

Is it possible to show us the mark of William Jaffray because I can't find it, probably just me.

Best,

Peter
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Peter,

Here is the mark attributed to William Jaffrey:

A die may last for thousands and thousands of strikes and last a hundred years or more, but it also may crack on the very first blow of a drop-hammer, and a very large investment lost. Thus, generally it was only the larger concerns that could afford such a gamble.

Trev.
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Thanks Trev,

Both marks look the same. Is it possible that a small silversmith placed an order with a large silver concern/factory and received his order unmarked & unfinished. Worked it and sent the finished product with his own maker's mark (responsibility mark) to the assay office?

Peter
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Peter,

That is indeed a possible scenario, but to what advantage? Jenkins would have to take responsibility for the standard (not a problem if acquired thorough a reputable maker), take the risk of loss in transit between Dumbarton and Glasgow and back again (only about 40 miles round trip, but still a risk of robbery). Also the assay fees may well have been larger in proportion for smaller quantities than large amounts submitted by a big manufacturer (I'm guessing on that one!), and he would also have the extra work of possible re-finishing, should any damage be caused during the striking of the hallmarks. If it were just a case of wanting his own mark on the items, he could over-stamp the mark.

Trev.
jmaps23

Post by jmaps23 »

Hi Trev

Thanks for taking the time to comment and identifying the pattern for me. Very much appreciated.

Return to “Flatware Pattern Identification”