Gorham spoon pattern ID help

If you know the maker, but not the pattern. - PHOTO REQUIRED
marty_s

Gorham spoon pattern ID help

Post by marty_s »

Can anyone help with the ID of this pattern? I'm trying to date this spoon. I believe it is made by Gorham although the mark is a bit different. I read in another post on this forum that the Galt & Bro. stamp is from the retailer - is that correct? Thanks!

silverly

Re: Gorham spoon pattern ID help

Post by silverly »

I think your piece may be in the 1907 introduced Gorham pattern Martha Washington, and yes, Galt & Bro was the retailer.
marty_s

Post by marty_s »

Thats it! Thank you Silverly for your excellent advise. It amazing how easy it is to find something when you know what its called. Thanks again.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

::This specific set of Gorham hallmarks is most often seen on "last quarter of 19th century" pieces, so could it be some kind of earlier unnamed pattern::
:I was looking at the "Martha Washington" in detail, and isn't there an extremely thin border where the dots meet the interior of the handle:
:I could be wrong:
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

::It seems as if it is indeed the Martha Washington pattern, so this must be from at least 1907, and yes Galt & Bro of Washington D.C. is the retailer::
::I do know for sure that these Gorham hallmarks are not seen on very many pieces from the 20th century onwards::

Return to “Flatware Pattern Identification”