<Star>Rogers & Bro.IS "Beverly Hills"??

If you know the maker, but not the pattern. - PHOTO REQUIRED
Traintime
contributor

<Star>Rogers & Bro.IS "Beverly Hills"??

Post by Traintime »

Noted in 2006 thread as either Aurora (1933) or Manhattan (1951)...currently shown on elsewhere as Beverly Hills (1932) and Manhattan..made variously by 1865 Wm. Rogers, Rogers & Bro., or International Silver. [Sample carries combined marks of last two together.] Any thoughts on which factory intiated this one first? Could it have been a commercial line re-named later for wider distribution? Don't have it on hand right now, but believe one of my earliest finds was this pattern marked for both Fred Harvey and US Navy (one of them was struck out, maybe Harvey). Possibly a re-routing for wartime needs, so I'm thinking maybe its' original intended use was commercial lines. (Any known advertising copy might set the record straight.)

dragonflywink
co-admin

Re: <Star>Rogers & Bro.IS "Beverly Hills"??

Post by dragonflywink »

Eh, I have some info on this pattern somewhere, but am unable to hunt it up right now and not sure when I will be...

It was introduced in 1932 as International Silver's 'Manhattan', design inspired by the Chrysler Building, patent #D86753 issued April 12, 1932 - believe it was originally produced as hotel plate. International introduced the slightly different Rogers & Bro. 'Beverly Hills' a couple of years later, a bit more slender and without the horizontal band on the stem, and intended for the general market - that pattern was reintroduced again in 1951 as 'Manhattan'. I don't recall seeing it in either incarnation as 'Aurora' but anything is possible...

~Cheryl
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Many thanks Cheryl. Old thread is now redirected to your most excellent answer (just in case anyone falls in there).
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

From a spoon sample..Pattern was indeed purchased by Fred Harvey...backmarked with name in full using block letters. "BP" stamped code indicates Banquet Plate (not to be confused with Gorham's use of the word mark) was available from International Silver on this pattern. [ Therefore, a US Navy or Anchor over-stamp would probably indicate it pieces were re-routed for War Emergency needs.]

Return to “Flatware Pattern Identification”