What was this 1937 cup used for?

What was this used for? - PHOTO REQUIRED
niceguy1

What was this 1937 cup used for?

Post by niceguy1 »

HI

What was this London 1937 cup meant to be used as? It measures 8 ½ cm tall & 10 ½ cm wide at the top including the figures at the sides.

The 3 letter makers mark is rubbed but perhaps someone will recognize it from the shape of the cartouche.

THANKS

WarrenKundis
contributor

Re: What was this 1937 cup used for?

Post by WarrenKundis »

Niceguy,

At first thought it was a chalice but most likely a goblet. Was not sure if the first letter was an S or C, found nothing of value under S. It may be C & B over S for Charles Boyton & Son Ltd Upper Charles Street London EC. First mark registered 1904 ran from 1904-1912, second registered 1914 ran from 1919-1937

Silver Makers Marks UK

Warren
niceguy1

Post by niceguy1 »

Hi Warren

The bowl is quite shallow so i'm not sure this was used to drink from but it might be more decorative.

You are most probably right about the maker.

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

Are the marching angels original, or perhaps added later? This cup seems designed for some sort of ritualistic purpose.
WarrenKundis
contributor

Post by WarrenKundis »

Am more inclined to now think that may be more commentrative in nature. Had reviewed other pieces by Charles Boyton online trying to find a connection, found the quality of their work very high in my estimation. The only other object that came close was a low three footed vessel with griffins.

Say the local cathedral was going through some restoration, you made a size-able donation. This small chalice/goblet was given as a token of thanks. Don't believe it was used in a service of some sort nor found on someone's table except for a cordial.

Just thinking out loud.
W
JLDoggett
co-admin

Post by JLDoggett »

Maybe it is just me, but those angels look awkward. After doing as Warren did, reviewed available images online, I have to wonder what possessed him to add those to the lip... I could see if they were the stem, but they take on the air of artifice. Possibly it had a cover with a matching angel that would improve the look. but the man had style and taste and it is not shown in this piece.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

The angels seem dressed in a robe with a headdress that looks kind of like a turban, but then again kind of not.

"He seemed to be a tall, dark man in his thirties, well-knit, active and strong, with the face of a savage king, and eyes veiled lest their gaze should destroy what they saw. The dress was not Arab; it suggested Assyria or Persia, but very vaguely."

That is a quote from Alistair Crowley's occult book, when he describes the angel Aiwass. A big part of his religion was finding a personal guardian angel who would help each person follow the inner spirit towards a future destiny. I have no interest in the occult. I just wanted to identify the "marching angels" on this cup and I came across the mad writings of Crowley. His cult was active in 1937, but went underground after the war.

Those angels just look so unique and different, I wanted to know what their purpose was. But I suppose it is far more likely that the cup was used in a traditional church service, and not an extremely small occult setting.

I still say "The dress was not Arab; it suggested Assyria or Persia, but very vaguely" is an accurate description of the way the angels are dressed on this cup.

But probably I am in error, wandering off the path of the most likely explanation.

Return to “Mystery Objects”