Need help finding origin/date/purpose of an antique piece

What was this used for? - PHOTO REQUIRED
ReneB

Need help finding origin/date/purpose of an antique piece

Post by ReneB »

Hello everyone,

This is my first time posting here. I'm hoping someone will be able to help me place this piece of jewelry. It's a bit of a mystery to me. I've posted this piece on various online forums and so far not one person has been able to figure it out!

It's a very heavy and large solid sterling frame pendant. It's unmarked but tested positive for sterling silver (fyi - I did not to that horrible scratch test on the back of the piece).

The person I bought it from claimed it was Japanese - but, I honestly don't think they are right. I believe it could be Mongolian and some have suggested Mayan.

The eyes on the warrior men seem to be scratched out or sewn shut. Possibly depicting the dead? I have no idea!

Also, if it was meant to hold an actual picture it would be one of a very unusual size... considering the narrowness and height of the frame itself.

So... does anyone have an opinion on this? Ever seen anything like it?

I appreciate any answers or guesses!

Thank you!

JLDoggett
co-admin

Re: Need help finding origin/date/purpose of an antique piec

Post by JLDoggett »

Most likely South American; from the blend of Aztec/Inca motifs; C,1890-1910; and meant to be a picture frame to hang on a wall.
WarrenKundis
contributor

Post by WarrenKundis »

Very nice frame. Looking at the back side of the frame in front of your ring finger, there seems to be a very faint mark. Can you get a closer shot?

Warren
ReneB

Post by ReneB »

Thank you for your replies!

JLDoggett, have you seen anything like this before?? Is it common for a picture frame to be this narrow? Someone mentioned to me, in another forum, that it could have possibly held a stone.

Warren, It's just some patina on the back. I wish it were a marking!! I've studied this entire piece under a 30x loupe and couldn't find any hard to find markings. :(
WarrenKundis
contributor

Post by WarrenKundis »

Good morning Rene,

Humor me for a moment if you would be so kind. The lense of the camera is capable of picking up things the human eye can not. I'll post an image of the area.

Now as to the style of it, strongly agree with Mr Doggett that it is pre Columbian possibly Mesoamerican or South American, but no particular culture. This warrior's face does seem to indicate an early level of decay. The motif at the top looks like what is worn across the front of his waist and the other item appears to be a feathered shield. Do not believe it's referring to Dia de Los Muertos, The Day of the Dead, more of an inference to death on the battlefield, as a captured combatant, or the loser in a ritual ball game.

Hung on a wall seems possible although the ring is large enough to take a chain, ribbon, or cord of seem sort. As to a stone may be a possible insert if it was very thin, the prongs are long and narrow. A carved piece also in a pre Columbian style or a thin silver plaque. As to time period I'm thinking the 20s and 30s when Latin Americans were celebrating their particular cultural heritage.

Just my thoughts.
W
WarrenKundis
contributor

Post by WarrenKundis »

Now look to the upper left, see the dark T shape. Extending down to the left at a 30 degree angle there is a very faint mark. Now as you follow the line of the two fingers more in the center appears to be an upper case A with another faint mark to it's left. As your taking the shots also try rolling to lense to the left and right to see if it will pick up any further contrast.

Return to “Mystery Objects”