Partly Chinese caddy?

What was this used for? - PHOTO REQUIRED
zilverik
contributor

Partly Chinese caddy?

Post by zilverik »

Hi,

This is a caddy is pottery with a silver rim and top. Height: 4,1 inch (10,5 cm); diameter: 2,2 inch (5,7 cm). The top is stamped with Minerve and the mark of Tetard freres (partly struck, hard to make visible with a photo), the rim is only stamped with Minerve. The pottery is not marked. It looks Chinese, but maybe made in France? I doubt the use. It is a small caddy, maybe to small for a tea caddy?
Anyone knows?

Regards,

Zilverik

oel
co-admin

Re: Partly Chinese caddy?

Post by oel »

Hi Zilverik,

I vote for small-medium sized tea caddy with removable cap; French hard-paste porcelain made by unknown factory located around the city of Limoges. The cap although it looks a bit large, part can be used as a tea measure, and to refill the porcelain caddy.

Oel.
zilverik
contributor

Post by zilverik »

Hi Oel,

Thank for your idea. Thea caddy is indeed plausible. What else could it be? I agree.
But why Limoges? In Limoges (also Sevres and others) the porcelain was marked. And the surface is not as plain as can be expected from French porcelain. Wasn't there (around 1900 I guess) unmarked Chinese export porcelain used in France for theacaddy's, vases etc.?

Regards,

Zilverik
oel
co-admin

Post by oel »

Hi Erik,

Chinese export porcelain is often marked China and/or with Chinese characters but indeed also seen without marks. To me your porcelain tea caddy does not yell made in China and the French like to make their products at home(from wine & cheese to clothes & cars etc). Unmarked porcelain during the ages has been a puzzle to even experts, dealers and collectors.
Often the longer you look at it, either could bring you an answer, or more confusion, especially if designs and decorations are copied or made to a certain taste for the European or American markets.

There was a large group of European potters in the 19th century who often did not mark there porcelain output. In France, Paris was the home to several small porcelain factories and decorating shops producing porcelain in the style of the famous Sevres and Limoges and in the style of popular Chinese (export) porcelain or what ever came in vogue. Today these pieces produced or decorated by these smaller factories are called Paris or Old Pris Porcelain, named after their location.

These potteries located in Paris had to compete with the famous and well-established Royal Manufactory at Sevres, which enjoyed Royal patronage and financial support. They managed this by being quicker to adapt to new fashions in design and catering to the new and rising merchant class or the lesser nobility who wanted the status and look of Sevres porcelain, but at a cheaper price and perhaps a little lower quality. Most reference sources indicate that as much as 70 percent of Paris porcelain made went without any company marks at all or as yet have not been identified and cataloged, which makes identifying these pieces today to a definitive maker almost impossible. Another factor that makes identification a problem is many of the decorating studios in Paris used blanks, called “white wares” made in Limoges or even by Sevres, but generally not marked with their origins until the turn of the 19th-early 20th century.

Oel.
zilverik
contributor

Post by zilverik »

Hi Oel,

That is very good information. Thanks!

Regards,

Zilverik

Return to “Mystery Objects”