Bank of England clasp of some kind

What was this used for? - PHOTO REQUIRED
apolonius

Bank of England clasp of some kind

Post by apolonius »

An odd bank of england object. Perhaps for a ceremonial function
Garrard & Co, London 1998.
The back has a broad square section loop and four smaller loops, perhaps string holes.
I can only speculate that this was for clasping notes or documents. I know the Bank of England Act was reformed in 1998, perhaps this was for a ceremonial presentation of the act to parliament with this device securing section four?
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Bank of England clasp of some kind

Post by dognose »

Hi Apolonius,

I remember seeing these badges a few years ago at the Bank of England Museum (see: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 43&t=14701) and curiosity got the better of me as what the item that you have, whilst appearing to have age to it, but fairly recently made, could be, so I asked them. Apparently the badges were originally worn by porters and gatekeepers at the bank to identify them, the originals, fifty-eight of them, being made by William Burwash & Richard Sibley of London. As the wearing of the item fell out of use, some were converted into napkin holders for use in the parlours of the Bank of England and it has become traditional that when a director leaves the Bank of England a reproduction of the Porters Badge napkin holder is created and given to them as a ceremonial leaving present.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Just thinking about the provenance of the item, a quick internet search appears to offer only one candidate as the recipient, It is likely that the item may have originally been given to Sir David Clementi, a former Deputy Governor of the Bank of England.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_di ... of_England

and: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Clementi

Trev.
apolonius

Post by apolonius »

Such useful and insightful information, really helpful. Couple of questions though; @dognose: where do you think these badges would have been worn? On the arm? And, following your idea, the large loop would certainly suggest that the object was worn on the body somehow, presumably a leather strap or belt, or maybe it is a later addition as napkin ring, but what of the 4 smaller loops? Personally I like this idea as it gives sheds some light on the functional aspects of the design but with regards your suggestion of David Clementi... what leads you down this path?
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

The large loop was added to the original badges to convert them into napkin holders. The reproductions just follow that style of conversion.

The first link shows that David Clementi appears to be the only director that left around the time that this piece was hallmarked.

Trev.
apolonius

Post by apolonius »

Trev I am inclined to think you are entirely right and having now explored the avenue of porters badges. I think you have hit the nail on the head and extend my gratitude to you for your expertise and concise explanations. Thank you very much indeed! I think a large part of the value of unusual silver items, greater than their silver weight or even sometimes their craftsmanship, is the history and legacy that they hold. and that's the part that is so easily lost, however recent the piece in question.

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )

Return to “Mystery Objects”