HELP!? What Is This and is it SILVER? Die Kunderschafter Aus Kana

What was this used for? - PHOTO REQUIRED
blueroommusic

HELP!? What Is This and is it SILVER? Die Kunderschafter Aus Kana

Post by blueroommusic »

Can anyone tell me how old this is and does the Hallmark indicate it's silver? Thanks!
ImageImageImage
agphile
contributor

Re: HELP!? What Is This and is it SILVER? Die Kunderschafter Aus Kana

Post by agphile »

It doesn't look like a silver mark. Seems to be cast with the piece and my first thought would be pewter. I assume the incised XVII probably refers to a date and 1917 would be consistent with the style of the item. Not sure why HH, if he or she was the first owner, would want a dish decorated with a biblical scene of the spies returning from Canaan. Might this have been something like a Sunday School prize?

Perhaps those from German speaking countries will have more light to shed.
kerangoumar
contributor

Re: HELP!? What Is This and is it SILVER? Die Kunderschafter Aus Kana

Post by kerangoumar »

Pewter. The iconography is from Numbers 13:23 The Spies (Kundschafter) Explore Canaan (Kana)

…22When they had gone up into the Negev, they came to Hebron where Ahiman, Sheshai and Talmai, the descendants of Anak were. (Now Hebron was built seven years before Zoan in Egypt.) 23Then they came to the valley of Eshcol and from there cut down a branch with a single cluster of grapes; and they carried it on a pole between two men, with some of the pomegranates and the figs. 24That place was called the valley of Eshcol, because of the cluster which the sons of Israel cut down from there.

Return to “Mystery Objects”