Stamp Roller?

What was this used for? - PHOTO REQUIRED
dognose
Site Admin

Stamp Roller?

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Can anyone suggest the use of this item manufactured by Matthew Wilcox & Son, Spencer Street, Birmingham:

M.W. & S - Birmingham - 1909

It has been suggested that the item is a roller for storing postage stamps with the end used for tamping down the stamp when applied. Whilst this is likely, I'd appreciate any other suggestions.

Trev.
Traintime
contributor

Re: Stamp Roller?

Post by Traintime »

Dimensions? Too small for these?: Cigarette rolling paper and tobacco tamp; note paper (roll or sheets) concealer for carrier pigeon work; paper money cache. Certainly not microfilm holder for spies!
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Traintime,

The item is not in my possession, but I would guess not more than say 2½" when extended.

Trev.
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Went looking for patents, saw photo of your object on commercial site dealing in Victoriana and Edwardiana etc.. They list it as English patent stamp dispenser from Birmingham in 1909. Can you confirm?
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Not sure what you are asking. Can I confirm what?

Trev.
silvermakersmarks
co-admin

Post by silvermakersmarks »

Hi Traintime

The item you have seen on the commercial site, although apparently identical, is not the one pictured here. I know Trev's source for this one as I was also asked. It does seem though that a stamp roller / dispenser is what it is.

Phil
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

Thanks. Didn't actually think they were the exact same object. Just wondered if anyone could confirm an English Patent placed on the device around date mentioned in the listing, early 1900's. That was the track I was originally headed down using key words; Patents/dispensers/stamp. Hope you find one.

Return to “Mystery Objects”