What is it?

What was this used for? - PHOTO REQUIRED
amena
contributor

What is it?

Post by amena »

A friend of mine showed me this object hallmarked with the Diana's head, Vienna 1853.
The part in repoussé is made of such a thin sheet of metal which can not support any weight, and in the back the finish is very rude. He asked me what this object was, but I could not give him an answer.
Does anyone know the answer?
Thanks in advance
Amena
oel
co-admin

Re: What is it?

Post by oel »

Hi Amena,

What would be the sizes? Ornamental piece of silver originally attached to a wood-pantry-jar-lid-cover-for-glass?

Best,

Oel.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Radlpunze, i.e. before 1867 when Diana`s head was introduced. Have seen several of those candy dishes (Schale) with stamped repoussé, very thin silver sheet attached to the dish. Very fragile, all I have seen were broken or detached. Tried to repair some of them but hard soldering was not possible and used tin which I hate on silver.Not meant to have a glass liner.
As far as I can see this dish was repaired, too (prongs or wire on the bottom plate).
Have a nice weekend.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Similar Austria-Hungary dish, but of better quality, rather thick silver and handmade.
http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=28945

Revolutions of 1848 in the Austrian Empire must have impoverished the country. Many mid 19th century silver items were made of unbelievably thin sheets of silver; open salt cellars weighing only 23 g each.
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Examined the pictures more carefully. If the repoussé ring did not belong to a dish but was meant to be an ornament ``per se`` it could be a votive offering, but not of commonly seen form (the heart, saints e.g.).But prongs and wire are rude as noticed by Amena, and circular plate in the middle is unevenly cut. Someone probably tried to save what was left of the dish.
amena
contributor

Post by amena »

I apologize but I can not contact the owner to get the exact diameter. As I remember it should be about 25 cm.
I believe it is an ornament, to look at but not touch, but I can not say more.
The two wires can be seen below are not a repair but they serve to hold in place the rose.
It seems to me that the object is created so and has not been altered.
Best
Amena
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Right, in that case either a votive offering (more likely) or a secular decoration.
Regards

Return to “Mystery Objects”