Reed & Barton "mystery" item...

What was this used for? - PHOTO REQUIRED
rynegold

Reed & Barton "mystery" item...

Post by rynegold »

But not a mystery for my fellow silver nuts here on the forum!

So can someone tell me "what" this is for? I realize it's a wedding item/gift of some sort but what did you measure or make with it? A special drink? Obviously there are two distinct measures here or so I'm thinking. The little "cup" on top, tilts. So's not to spill I suppose although it seems it will be hard to empty or pour out were you to fill it with something. The only other thing I can think of is some sort of tradition where, turned upside down, you fill the shot, and the little cup, and one person drinks one, then turns it up and the other person drinks what's in the little cup. It true, "someone" is getting cheated.

Comments appreciated,
mitch

JLDoggett
co-admin

Re: Reed & Barton "mystery" item...

Post by JLDoggett »

Here they are called "Wedding Cups". Supposedly an old Germanic tradition, the groom drinks from the larger cup, the bride, from the smaller one. I am unsure how well this is documented as historical fact. Their popularity ebbs and wanes.
DianaGaleM
contributor

Post by DianaGaleM »

If you do a search at Google Images on these terms, you'll see numerous similar examples:

"wedding cup"

I have long thought these bear a resemblance to Minoan goddess figurines. Do another search at Google Images on

minoan statuettes

It makes you wonder how deep the tradition of these figurines goes back. OTOH, it could just be a coincidence.

Diana
AG2012
contributor

Post by AG2012 »

Hi,
It is Jungfrauenbecher (“virgin cup”), girl shaped cup with the skirt forming a cup when inverted and a pivoted smaller cup above her head. The form originated in late 16th century Germany. The curator in Kaiserslautern museum confirmed they were used at weddings; the bridegroom drank a toast out of the skirt and then was supposed to give the cup to the bride without spilling the wine in the pivoted cup. Another name is Scherzgefäß (``amusement, joke vessel``) - a wager cup; the challenged having to drink from both cups without spilling the wine of either. One of the oldest (early 17th century) is kept in Nurnberg; the girl has typical contemporary dress, no resemblance to Ancient world whatsoever.
Regards
rynegold

Post by rynegold »

Wow, thanks everyone! I have forgotten to visit this thread for a while and now I read this on Christmas day no less! I'm giving this as a little gift to my wife. Thanks for all the contributions! and historic info!
petero

Post by petero »

Mitch,

Yes it is a wedding cup. As I understand it, it used by the bride and groom for toasting. Both bride and groom drink at the same time. When you turn the larger cup up the smaller cup tilts up too and you fill both cups up. Might be a nice wedding anniversary tradition to continue to love and toast each other.

Enjoy,

Peter

Return to “Mystery Objects”