Another Webster Spoon/Lid/Jar Condiment Set

What was this used for? - PHOTO REQUIRED
Traintime
contributor

Another Webster Spoon/Lid/Jar Condiment Set

Post by Traintime »

Seems to be intact as issued, so this particular pierced spoon should come with this set, though it could have been also used with others. In this case, rather than a notched lid for the spoon, there is a pouring spout in the glass base. Anyone know what this one was designed for. 3 1/2" base to rim. Typically poor stamped Webster arrow mark inside lid and right of Sterling on spoon back.

Aguest
contributor

Re: Another Webster Spoon/Lid/Jar Condiment Set

Post by Aguest »

I have the exact same spoon only it measures 5-1/4" long, it was described to me as a "chocolate spoon," but I really am not sure what was originally designed for ___ It seems like the glass spout would indicate something which was more easily pourable than chocolate or honey, perhaps jam or marmalade would be my best guess ___
Traintime
contributor

Post by Traintime »

The lip made me think about fruit syrup...maraschino cherries?
DianaGaleM
contributor

Post by DianaGaleM »

I believe the "cut out" on the rim of the glass was not for pouring, but was to allow the lid to sit level with the spoon inside. Most condiment/jam jars have the cut out in the lid. If you search the web on "condiment jar lid spoon," you'll find some, like this one, with the cut out on the jar.
Aguest
contributor

Post by Aguest »

That makes sense, and it would be easier to make a glass mold with a slightly bulging rim rather than make a sterling silver lid with a notch cut out of it, and you would just have one lid which could fit on a variety of bases, so that explanation makes more sense.

And it just looks more elegant than the alternative, at least in my opinion :::

Return to “Mystery Objects”