Help identifying object

What was this used for? - PHOTO REQUIRED
Zerohour

Help identifying object

Post by Zerohour »

Hi all,

This item was handed down to me by from my mother. She always claimed it was a cake serving dish, but I've always found that a little hard to believe as it looks rather impractical for serving cake. The only identifying marks I can see is the number '3' stamped on a number of the component parts.

I've taken the pics in series of how the item folds open so you can see how it works. I'd love to know what it is and even better who made it and when. I expect it dates back to the 1800's but may even go as far back as the 1700's

ImageImage

ImageImage

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r247 ... 020468.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks all.

James.
2209patrick
co-admin

Post by 2209patrick »

Hello James, good looking piece you have there.
Believe it's called a "biscuit warmer". Hot biscuits or muffins were stored inside the compartments and put before an open fire, keeping the contents warm.
The ones I've seen were made in Great Britain, late 19th century.

Regards,
Pat.
dragonflywink
co-admin

Post by dragonflywink »

Have always known them as folding biscuit boxes, most seem to date 1860s-80s, and usually British silverplate. Nice item and not particularly common, do google image and web searches for "folding biscuit box" and several similar examples will come up. Would guess that these are more for the English cookie or cracker type biscuits than the American soft, raised biscuits.

Cheryl ;o)
Zerohour

Post by Zerohour »

Wow thanks guys. I didn't expect to get an answer so quickly. At least I now know what to google for :)
Candle09

Re: Help identifying object/Biscuit Warmer

Post by Candle09 »

I have seen a lot of them lately. Wondering which Silver company was the best one to produce such beautiful piece. Thanks

Return to “Mystery Objects”