The Twentymans---Info required

For information you'd like to share - Post it here - not for questions
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

I came across this account of a slave rebellion in Mauritius in June/July 1832. There is a small mention of a torrid time being had by William Holme Twentyman (the brother of Lawrence Holme Twentyman) while his shop was under siege.

' Mr. Twentyman, a jeweller, persisted in keeping his shop open; he was assaulted day after day, night after night; sentries were placed there as guards; they continued to assault him from the neighbouring houses–he fired on them; even this would not do; at last he was compelled and indeed advised by Mr. Jeremie himself to yield.'

A full account can be read at:
Recent Events at Mauritius
By John Jeremie, John Reddie
Published by Hatchard, 1835

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=4swNAAAAQAAJ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Weldon (or Wildon) Wheatly Beck, the partner of William Henry Twentyman in the business known as Twentyman, Beck & Co. was formerly a resident of Bombay prior to arriving in Calcutta.

He is noted in the list of 'European Inhabitants' in Bombay as a 'Goldsmith & Jeweller' in 1818. Also noted was his marriage to Jane Mason at Bombay on the 8th November 1818.

Source: East-India Register and Directory
Published by W.H. Allen, 1819.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Snippet regarding the work of Twentyman & Co.

Rajah Rajnarain. – The Governor-General presented Rajah Rajnarain at a private audience, on the 29th December 1836, with a large gold medal of honor, having inscribed on the obverse, the Company's arms richly chased, with the motto upon a dark ground in a circle – Auspicio Regis et Senatus Angliae – and on the reverse, the words " Presented by the Hon'ble Sir Charles T. Metcalfe, Bart., Governor-General of all India, to Rajuh Rajnarain Roy, Behadur, A. D. 1835." The medal was manufactured by Messrs. Twentyman and Co. and is fitted with a clasp to be worn upon the breast like a star.

Source: Calcutta Monthly Journal and General Register. 1837
Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Following the dissolution of his partnership with William Henry Twentyman in 1823 of Twentyman Beck & Co., Weldon Wheatly Beck appears to have remained in Calcutta, as can be seen from this birth announcement in the Quarterly Oriental Magazine in 1827:

At Calcutta, on the 11th February, Mrs W W Beck, of a son.

Source: The Quarterly Oriental Magazine, Review and Register.
Published by Thacker & Co., 1827.

Trev.
Russ

Post by Russ »

I have just come across the discussion on the Twentymans. I am researching the Twentymans that originate from Liverpool and may have some back ground material on WHT and LHT that might be of interest. I realise that this is an old discussion but if I can exchange any information I will do so.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Russ,

Welcome to the Forum.

Any information you can post regarding these interesting silversmiths would be gratefully received.

I look forward to your posts.

Regards Trev.
SilverSurfer
contributor

Post by SilverSurfer »

Hi, all. I just happened on this thread, interested as I have a c.1820 WHT sauce ladle. This thread inspired me to do a Google search again (after a few years) on WHT, this is the result (much more than the last one):

http://www.google.com/search?client=fir ... gle+Search" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

(admin edit - see Posting Requirements )
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi SS,

Many thanks for the extra information.

It would be good if you could post a photo of your ladle and the marks.

Regards Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

A death notice for Lawrence Holme Twentyman was published in 'The Gentleman's Magazine' for 1852:

8th June, At Walthamstow, Essex, aged 59, Lawrence Holme Twentyman, esq.

And in the 'Gentleman's Magazine and Historical Review' for 1857:

22nd October, At Wimbledon, Surrey, aged 55, Elizabeth Henrietta, widow of Lawrence Holme Twentyman, esq., of Walthamstow, Essex.

This was presumably the former Betsey Burrell.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Details taken from the gravestones of William Henry Twentyman and his wife, Elizabeth Mary and their daughter, Elizabeth Sophia. They are buried in the South Park Street Burial Ground, Calcutta.

William Henry Twentyman Esq.

who died 20th April 1842, aged 48 years, 5 months and 12 days.

As sincerely regretted as he lived beloved and esteemed.

These lines are inscribed by his afflicted widow as an humble tribute to departed worth.

and

Sacred to the Memory of
Mrs. Elizabeth Mary Twentyman,

who departed this transitory life on the 16th Jan. A. D. 1834, aged 36 years.

She was a virtuous wife, a tender mother, a pious Christian, and now it is hoped rests with the

" Spirits of the just made perfect."

Here lies also her infant daughter.

Elizabeth Sophia,

died 6th of August 1828, aged 1 year, 9 months and 15 days.

" Of such is the kingdom of heaven."

Source: The Bengal Obituary: or, a record to perpetuate the memory of departed worth, being a compilation of tablets and monumental inscriptions from various parts of the Bengal and Agra presidencies. To which is added biographical sketches and memoirs of such as have pre-eminently distinquished themselves in the history of British India since the formation of the European settlement to the present time.

By Holmes and Co., 39, Cossitollah, Calcutta
Published by W. Thacker & Co., 1851

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

George Osborne Twentyman (WHT's son) appears in the Victoria Post Office Directory of 1866 as a Seal, copper plate and die engraver etc. at 81 1/2, Collins Street, East, Melbourne.

Source: The Victoria Post Office Directory
Published by H. Wise., 1866.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Another example of the work of William Henry Twentyman.

Fiddle pattern dessert spoon, length 7" (17.5cm), weight 47 grams.

Trev.
Granmaa
co-admin

Post by Granmaa »

From a Fiddle pattern table spoon.

Miles

SilverSurfer
contributor

Wm. Henry Twentyman Ladle

Post by SilverSurfer »

If interested, here are some pics (actually scans, sorry for poor quality) of my Wm. Henry Twentyman sauce/cream/toddy ladle mentioned above:

kelpgarden

Re: The Twentymans---Info required

Post by kelpgarden »

Funnily enough I can link George Osborne Twentyman with a George Edward Warner, same age and also a seal engraver - as both were mentioned in the 1842 will of Edward Cross, Gentleman of Cunningham Place, St Johns Wood, London.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi,

Welcome to the Forum.

Do you have any further details regarding George Cross's occupation?

Coincidently LHT's business partner in South Africa was a George Warner, but your George Warner's age would make the connection somewhat doubtful, but not impossible.

We are always pleased to hear of any further information you may have on the subject.

Trev.
keysk

Post by keysk »

Hello. I'm hoping someone can help me. I've only commenced doing my family tree on Ancestry.com.au and have found that William Henry Twentyman is my 4th generation grandfather and I'm looking at trying to acquire some of his silver spoons. I'm only at the commencement of this family tree. William's son, George, moved to Melbourne, Australia bearing a son George - who is my grandfather's grandfather. Any information on the Twentyman family and where I can purchase some of the Indian WHT spoons would be greatly appreciated.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards
Kerry
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Kerry,

Welcome to the Forum.

Hopefully any information regarding the Twentyman family will be added here, in the meantime it would be very much appreciated if you could add your findings to the thread.

Trev.
PS1959

Post by PS1959 »

I don’t collect silver but am interested in the Twentymans.

I note in an earlier post it says the Twentymans Capetown and Calcutta are unrelated.

I have a 1820ish clock ‘Tentyman and Co London and Calcutta’.

As the clockmaker was in Capetown i am assuming it was made (or more likely retailed) in Capetown. But because it’s engraved London and Calcutta I am wondering if this may give a connection between the two Twentymans. Unless of course the Calcutta silversmith also retailed clocks (unlikely?).

The name is unusual and to find two people with an uncommon name both plying the same trade at about the same time seems to me more than coincidence surely?
silverly

Post by silverly »

9 August 1852 Lawrence Holme Twentyman of the City of London and of Walthamstow in the County of Essex Merchant will proved at London. While all of his children received generous bequests, his estate largely went to his wife Elizabeth Henrieta and his son Lawrence Burrell Twentyman. His partner in the business of a General Merchant under the style of L H Twentyman & Co at the Cape of Good Hope was identified as William James Smith, and his partner in the like business of a General Merchant in London under the style of L Twentyman & Son was his son Lawrence Burrell Twentyman.

Reference: TNA PROB 11/2158/67

Return to “Contributors' Notes”