Danish and Norwegian city marks

For information you'd like to share - Post it here - not for questions
Hose_dk
contributor

Danish and Norwegian city marks

Post by Hose_dk »

Danish standard was 4 marks — maker, town, guardein and month. Those regulations was valid in Denmark and Norway. Norway was Danish at those days. But only in the big cities like Copenhagen, Aalborg, Ã…rhus the silversmith lived up to that. In most tows only 1 or a few silversmiths lived so they could live up to the law. They did not cheat, but in many cases there was no guardein. Even in some cases they did not even have a town mark.And when they did — in many cases they did not stamp.
So a lot of Danish silver is marked with maker only. In fact most old Danish silver from outside Copenhagen only have makers mark. I some cases maker stamped his mark 2 times or 3 times — he did that in order to show that his silver was as good as Copenhagen silver.

Same case in Norway, only Christiania (Oslo today), Bergen and a few more had a guardein. I have selected some city marks for information.

Copenhagen — I think that we miss a good 1700hundred city mark — so I have selected 2 marks 1716 and one from the 173?ties. Please note that these 3 towers are different from what you see at the page with Danish marks. The 3 towers are all unique — next year a new look.

Copenhagen 1716

Copenhagen 173?

So we move away from Copenhagen and go to Sønderborg. City mark between 1750 and 1800 was an S.
Sønderborg

I jutland we have a city like Aalborg. Note that they also use 3 towers - but no year. Instead there are 3 waves representing the water of Limfjorden or 3 eals representing fishing.
Aalborg 1822

Here we have a smith Obbekjer he har stamped city mark 2 times. Mark 1861 or 1862
Ribe

Assens 1813 to 1820

I will post more city marks as I find them around the house :)
Danish and Norwegian - we realy do need some old marks from those 2 countries :)
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

This is from Norway, when it was Danish. Today Oslo at that time Christiania the mark is from 1767 - but the spoon is from 1776. Makers mark identify and he was not active in 1767. So guardein has used an old mark - 67 or 76 that was not importent.

next mark is also from Christiania in this case it is 1798

Last mark this time is also Norway/denmark 1742 from Bergen.
Hose_dk
contributor

Post by Hose_dk »

And here just the name of the city ASSENS a Danish town.

http://b.imagehost.org/0931/IMG_6679_assens_bym_rke.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Contributors' Notes”