Some Sheffield Advertisements and Information

For information you'd like to share - Post it here - not for questions
dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40553
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some Sheffield Trade Cards and Advertisements

Postby dognose » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:10 pm

WILLIAM RODGERS & Co.

23 & 25, Otley Street, Sheffield

Image
William Rodgers & Co. - Sheffield - 1894

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40553
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some Sheffield Trade Cards and Advertisements

Postby dognose » Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:35 pm

JOSEPH PRICE

66, Wicker, Sheffield

Image
Joseph Price - Sheffield - 1863

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40553
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some Sheffield Trade Cards and Advertisements

Postby dognose » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:44 am

JOHN TYLER

Stanley Street, Wicker, Sheffield

Image
John Tyler - Sheffield - 1850

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40553
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some Sheffield Trade Cards and Advertisements

Postby dognose » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:22 pm

JOSEPH BROWN

229, Rockingham Street, Sheffield

Image
Joseph Brown - Sheffield - 1850

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40553
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some Sheffield Trade Cards and Advertisements

Postby dognose » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:37 pm

PICKSLAY, APPLEBY & BERTRAM

High Street, Sheffield

Image
Pickslay, Appleby & Bertram - Sheffield - 1828

Image
Pickslay, Appleby & Bertram - Sheffield - 1828

Noted as:
Green & Pickslay (John Green and Charles Pickslay) in c.1817.

Green, Pickslay and Appleby (John Green, Charles Pickslay and James Appleby) by 1825. Partnership dissolved in 1827.

Pickslay, Appleby & Bertram (Charles Pickslay, James Appleby and James Bertram) 1827.

Charles Pickslay & Co. by 1834.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40553
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some Sheffield Trade Cards and Advertisements

Postby dognose » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:10 pm

JOHN NODDER & SONS

Devonport Works, Rockingham Street, Sheffield

Image
John Nodder & Sons - Sheffield - 1863

John Nodder was formerly in the employ of James Dixon & Sons.

Their period at the Devonport Works was a short one, from 1863 to 1864, before moving to the Taranaki Works that was to be their home from 1864 until 1868. In 1868 they removed to 138-140, New Edward Street were they stayed until 1889. In 1889 they relocated again, this time until 1904 at to 226, Brookhill, Sheffield.

John Nodder & Sons used the trade mark 'OSMINIUM SILVER'

Image

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40553
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some Sheffield Trade Cards and Advertisements

Postby dognose » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:53 pm

RIDGE, WOODCOCK & HARDY

Eldon Place, Eldon Street, Sheffield

Image
Ridge, Woodcock & Hardy - Sheffield - 1878

Image
Ridge, Woodcock & Hardy - Sheffield - 1879

Image Image
Mark of Ridge, Woodcock & Hardy

This business operated from c.1872 to c.1881, it appears to disappear following the departure of Joseph Ridge who set up in business under the style of Joseph Ridge & Co. in c.1881. Ridge, Woodcock & Hardy showcased their wares at the Paris Exhibition of 1878.

Image
Paris Exhibition - 1878

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40553
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some Sheffield Trade Cards and Advertisements

Postby dognose » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:53 am

PARKIN & MARSHALL

The Telegraph Works, 23 Furnival Street, later, Sylvester Street, later still, Milton Street, Sheffield

Image
Parkin & Marshall - Sheffield - 1883

Although in business many years before, Parkin & Marshall started electro plating in 1861. They appear to have been in business until the mid 1920's.

William Parkin died on the 19th January 1873.

Image

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40553
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some Sheffield Trade Cards and Advertisements

Postby dognose » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:22 am

ABRAHAM DYSON

12, Charles Street, Sheffield

Image
Abraham Dyson - Sheffield - 1840

Abraham Dyson registered his mark 'AD' contained within an oblong punch with clipped corners, with the Sheffield Assay Office in October 1835. He suffered bankruptcy in 1841.

Trev.

MCB
moderator
Posts: 2134
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:43 pm
Location: UK

Re: Some Sheffield Trade Cards and Advertisements

Postby MCB » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:18 am

Parkin & Marshall

They entered marks at Sheffield Assay Office:
In 1866 comprising two rectangles, P & M in the first and WP in the second smaller punch :
In 1885 comprising a rectangle with WP over BP;
Both from Furnival Street.

Mike

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40553
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some Sheffield Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Fri May 03, 2013 3:19 pm

DAVID WRIGHT

94, Fargate, Sheffield

Image
David Wright - Sheffield - 1840

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40553
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some Sheffield Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Sun May 05, 2013 3:54 pm

HENRY DUKE

50, Rockingham Lane, Division Street, Sheffield

Image
Henry Duke - Sheffield - 1840

Henry Duke entered his mark 'HD' contained within an oblong punch with clipped corners, with the Sheffield Assay Office in 1837 from Division Street, Sheffield.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40553
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some Sheffield Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Fri May 10, 2013 7:40 am

CHARLES FREDERICK YOUNG (YOUNGE)

33,35,45, High Street, Sheffield

Image
Image
Charles F. Younge - Sheffield - 1828

Image
Charles F. Young - Sheffield - 1840

Charles Frederick Younge entered his mark 'C.F.Y' contained within a rounded corner rectangle and with a pellet between each initial, with the Sheffield Assay Office in 1836.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40553
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some Sheffield Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Wed May 15, 2013 12:13 pm

JOHN SANDERSON, later, JOHN SANDERSON & SON LTD

36, Holly Street, Sheffield


An example of the work of John Sanderson:

Image

Image

Image
JS - Sheffield - 1908

The above 'JS' mark was entered on the 10th October 1895.



Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
JS above &S - Sheffield - 1942

Image
JS above &S - Sheffield - 1942


Image
John Sanderson & Son (1929) Ltd. - Sheffield - 1946

John Sanderson & Son entered their marks 'JS above &S' contained within a quatrefoil, and 'JS above &S' contained within a square punch with clipped corners, with the Sheffield Assay Office.

Besides their sterling wares, they manufactured plated products under the 'ARGYLE PLATE' trade name.

The company were located at a variety of addresses over the years, including, Arundel Street, Holly Street, Trafalger Street, Westfield Terrace, and Milton Street, all in Sheffield.

Trev.

MCB
moderator
Posts: 2134
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:43 pm
Location: UK

Re: Some Sheffield Advertisements and Information

Postby MCB » Thu May 16, 2013 5:05 am

Re:- JOHN SANDERSON & SON LTD

The company also entered a mark in 1979 at the Edinburgh Assay Office similar to the later Sheffield mark; the lettering was sans serif. The Edinburgh AO website indicates this mark had lapsed from use by 1989.

Mike

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40553
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some Sheffield Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Tue May 21, 2013 1:30 pm

H. HOUSLEY & SONS

Sydney Works, Matilda Street, Sheffield

Image
H. Housley & Sons - Sheffield - 1961

The business of Herbert Housley.

H. Housley & Sons used the trade marks: 'NYCRAFT', 'PEARLCRAFT', and 'TABLECRAFT'.

Link to an image of the Sydney Works in Matilda Street: http://www.picturesheffield.com/fronten ... ction=zoom

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40553
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some Sheffield Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Sat May 25, 2013 2:41 pm

JOHN BATT

Cambridge Electro Plate Works, 20, Cambridge Street, later, Park Electro Plate Works, 33, Broad Street*, later, 14, Sycamore Street, Sheffield
* The former works of George Cutts & Sons.

Image
John Batt - Sheffield - 1876

Image
John Batt - Sheffield - 1891

John Batt acquired the business of George Cutts & Sons c.1890.


MESSRS. JOHN BATT & CO., LIMITED, 14, SYCAMORE STREET, SHEFFIELD

The ancient fame of Sheffield plate - now an object of special consideration to amateurs and collectors–survives on an ampler scale in the renown of this city's multifarious productions in all branches of the silversmith's art and of the more modem craft of electro-plating. It is interesting to meet with a firm whose annals date back to the early days of the last mentioned industry, and whose name is at the same time intimately associated with the progress of general silversmith's work and cutlery manufacture in Sheffield during nearly three quarters of a century past. Such a firm is that of Messrs. John Batt & Co., Limited, old-established, widely known, and identified with a standard of manufacture which is regarded with confidence by both home and export buyers. It was in 1845 that the now extensive business carried on at 14, Sycamore Street, Sheffield, was founded by Mr. John Batt. The original family is still represented in the administration, which, since March 26th, 1896, has been conducted under a limited liability constitution, with a directorate consisting at the present time of Mr. William Sykes (chairman), Mr. Frederick Edmund Batt (managing director), Mr. Thomas Wilkinson Willis, and Mr. Bernard Bagshaw Batt. By this governing body the enterprising policy of the house has been actively continued, and its reputation for quality of product and advancement of method has never stood higher than during the period that has elapsed since the incorporation. The works in Sycamore Street have, in accordance with the rule of the house at all times, been kept thoroughly up-to-date in the details of their equipment. With their staff of 100 highly trained and skilful workers, they rank as one of the best organised establishments of the kind and size in Sheffield. Here, from time to time, various practical improvements, new processes, etc., have been introduced, which have had no small effect in promoting the interests of the concern, and strengthening the position of its products in the market. We may note in this connection that the firm of John Batt was the originator of the method of " bolstering " German silver blades and forks without soldering–an improvement which met at once with marked favour, and has continued in general approval. A notable feature of the present company's operations is the wide range of work turned out. Few houses produce a greater variety of goods, all three branches of sterling silver, electro-plate, and cutlery being fully represented in so far as articles for table use and ornament are concerned. Spoons and forks are a leading speciality ; and along with these there is a varied output of table cutlery, entree dishes, cruets, trays, waiters, tea and coffee services, flower stands, jelly dishes, and, in short, every description of sterling silver and electro-plated table ware. Artistic ideals are pursued in the matter of design, with respect to which the company can be credited with many elegant and tasteful conceptions ; while the practical efficiency at command in the works, and the careful supervision exercised in every department, are evidenced in the excellence of workmanship and finish for which even the lower-priced articles of this firm's manufacture have always been favourably known in the trade. Messrs. John Batt & Co., Limited, in the course of a long record of activity, have gradually extended their business relations to all the three great divisions of our national commerce–home, colonial, and foreign. Their home trade has been a substantial one from the first, and remains to this day their chief interest ; but export business has, none the less, received a due share of attention, and the successful cultivation of several important oversea markets is demonstrated in the connections that have been formed and steadily built up in Australia, New Zealand, India, and South Africa. The company has London offices and show-rooms conveniently situated, at 53, New Broad Street, E.C. It may be added that Mr. William Sykes (the chairman) is managing director of Messrs. John Smiths, proprietors of the well-known Tadcaster Brewery Co., Limited, Tadcaster ; while Mr. T. W. Willis is a director of Messrs. Sanderson Brothers & Newbould. Limited, Sheffield. Telegrams : " Bat, Sheffield." Telephone : 2692


Source: The Business World - 1914


John Batt converted into a limited liability company, styled John Batt & Co.Ltd. on the 26th March 1896.

John Batt entered his mark 'J·B' contained within an oval punch, in 1880 from 20 Cambridge Street, Sheffield, with the Sheffield Assay Office.

John Batt & Co.Ltd entered the same mark in 1900 from the Park Plate Works, 14 Sycamore Street, Sheffield, with the Sheffield Assay Office.

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40553
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some Sheffield Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Wed May 29, 2013 4:54 am

WILLIAM BRIGGS & Co.

Button Lane, later, Furnival Works, Furnival Street, later, 33-35, Andrew Street, Wicker, Sheffield

Image
William Briggs - Sheffield - 1840

William Briggs- entered as a plate worker in 1823 from Button Lane a rectangle with WB and a pellet after “W”.
William Briggs & Co entered in 1873 from Andrew Street, Wicker a rounded end rectangle with WB in sans serif letters with a pellet between; in 1890 from the same address a clipped corner rectangle with WB in roman; in 1900 from 33 Andrew Street, Wicker a clipped corner rectangle with WB & Co and a bar below a small “o”.
William Briggs & Co Sheffield Ltd entered in 1900 from the same address a clipped corner rectangle with WB & Co S with a pellet below small “o”.

Silver plater's mark for William Briggs & Co.:
Image

The business was converted into a limited liability company in 1900.

See: http://www.925-1000.com/silverplate_B2.html

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40553
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some Sheffield Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:56 pm

GEORGE BUTLER & Co.

Trinity Works, Eyre Street, Sheffield


Image
George Butler & Compy. - Sheffield - 1879


Image
George Butler & Co.Ltd. - Sheffield - 1919


Image

Source: The American Cutler - January 1922


The business of George Butler & Co. can be traced back until at least 1768 with the granting of the 'BUTLER' mark to William Butler. By c.1810 the firm was in the hands of George and James Butler. George died in 1833, and James in 1843. The firm, by now styled George Butler & Co., was later acquired by William Henry Andrew, and his twin brother, Albert George Andrew. The twins were joined in partnership in c.1850 by Henry George Rowe, and in 1853 displayed their wares at the New York Exhibition.

Henry Rowe left the business in c.1870 and around the same time Robert Belfitt became Chairman of the company. William Andrew died in 1894, and his brother, Albert, in 1908.

George Butler & Co. went into receivership in 1952 and were acquired by Leppingtons, then Coloroll. In 1987 they were sold to Table de France, and in 1993 to Arthur Price.

George Butler & Co. entered their marks with the Sheffield Assay Office in 1872 and 1894.

See: http://www.925-1000.com/silverplate_B3.html

Trev.

dognose
Site Admin
Posts: 40553
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:53 pm
Location: England

Re: Some Sheffield Advertisements and Information

Postby dognose » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:05 am

WILLIAM HARRISS

23, Orchard Lane, Sheffield


Image
William Harriss - Sheffield - 1859

Trev.


Return to “Contributors' Notes”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests