Silversmiths & Allied Trades - The Channel Islands

For information you'd like to share - Post it here - not for questions
silverly

Re: Silversmiths & Allied Trades - The Channel Islands

Post by silverly »

Not a great contribution here, and I may have even over looked it in this post, but this gentleman's middle name was Thomas. He is listed in the 1881 Census for St Helier with both of his given names and as a fourteen year old watchmaker's apprentice. He is listed again with his full name in the 1911 census for St Helier.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

JOHN DAMER

7, Library Place, and later, Royal Square, St. Helier, Jersey

Noted as a Silversmith, Jeweller, and Watchmaker, John Damer was born at St. Helier in 1801. He was recorded as being located at 7, Library Place in 1833, and at Royal Square in 1843 and 1868. He was known to have two sons who continued in the trade, John Damer (b.1833) and William H. Damer (b.1835). William was recorded as a Clock and Watchmaker of Royal Square, St. Helier, in 1875.

John Damer was also noted as the proprietor of the York Hotel at Royal Square, St. Helier in 1859, 1864 and 1866.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

GEORGE HAMON

48, King Street, St. Helier, Jersey

George Hamon I & II, were father and son, this business was thought to have been established in c.1774, and continued until at least the middle 1830's. An earlier premises may have been at 24, Hill Street, St. Helier, this property, a house and shop, was purchased by a George Helier Hamon in 1790. George Hamon I died in 1809/10. A weather cock located at St. John's Parish Church, dated 1774, bears the mark of George Hamon, showing that he also worked using other metals.

Crown above G.H

The Hamon's mark is sometimes accompanied with upper case 'H' and/or 'J' marks.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

W.T. DAVEY

La Colomberie, St. Helier, Jersey

Noted as Gilder and Plater etc. working in Jersey in the second half of the 19th century. He was the father of P. W. Davey of Guernsey (see below post).

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

P.W. DAVEY & Co.

4, Smith Street, Guernsey

Noted as an Electro Plater, Gilder, Watchmaker and Jeweller, working in 1885. He is thought to be the only 'in house' electro plater working at Guernsey at this time. His father's business was located in Jersey (see above post).

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

CHARLES TARONI

10, Queen Street, St. Helier, Jersey

Chas. Taroni - St. Helier - 1857

Recorded as a Silversmith, Jeweller and Watchmaker in the Jersey Almanac of 1856.

Possibly Charles Francois Taroni.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

JACQUES QUESNEL (I & II)

King Street, later, Queen Street, later, Library Place, St. Helier, Jersey

Jacques Quesnel (I) was the grandson of the silversmith Jacques Limbour, who was also noted as the Librarian at St. Helier, a position that JQ (I) succeeded to following Limbour's death in 1791. JQ (I) is thought to have started in business on his own account as from 1781 and probably carried on until his death on the 8th December 1821. His elder brother, Michel, was recorded as a Clockmaker in 1771.

Jacques Quesnel (II) was the son of JQ (I), and likely to have been trained under his father. He succeeded to both his father's business and the role of Librarian upon the death of JQ (I) in 1821. JQ (II) died on the 29th March 1843.

The Quesnel's used many different marks, some of which are shown below:

Trev.
MCB

Post by MCB »

Hello Trev

JACQUES QUESNEL (I & II)

The first JQ mark seem to have used around 1790 to around 1810. Have you any information on when the other marks were used please?

Regards
Mike
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Mike,

Sorry, I'm afraid I don't. Stylistically, flatware design is of no help either, as they were slow to catch up sometimes, with what was popular in England.

Regards, Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

LONDON JEWELLERS & SILVERSMITHS Co.

35, King Street, St. Helier, Jersey

This business has been a mystery to me and had confused me for a long time, at one point I wondered if there may have been a very small gap in ownership of the premises, situated at the corner of King Street and Brook Street, between that of Hollinshed and the takeover of his business by C.T. Maine in 1890, but now some new evidence, in the form of a Jersey milk can dated by assay, has cropped up that casts a little more light regarding exactly who the London Jewellers & Silversmiths Co. really were.

The above is an image of the premises at 35, King Street taken around the turn of the 19th/20th century.

When the image of the sign above the shop is enlarged, it appears to state ???????? & Silversmiths Co. or Coy.

An enlargement of the shop doorway is a little clearer and the sign in the door glass perhaps states 'The London Jewellers & Silversmiths Company'.

Below are some images of Jersey milk can made in silver, they were, and probably still are, a popular memento of a visit to the Channel Islands.

Images courtesy of M. Winsor-Reeves

The milk can in the images was made in Birmingham by Abraham Meyer Blanckensee (see: http://www.925-1000.com/bx_amBlanckensee_B.html, and assayed there in 1900. It is also struck, after several attempts, with the retailer's mark of the 'London Jewellers and Silversmiths - Jersey'. The word 'Silversmiths' being off-centre and likely having the 'Co.' at one time following it, but now worn away.

It is well documented that Charles Maine succeeded to the business in 1890 and as can be seen from the advertisement shown in the earlier C.T. Maine post that he was trading under that name in 1896. But it will be noted that neither the shopfront shown in the images of 35, King Street, or the milk can make any mention of the name Maine, I can only conclude that at some point in time, between 1896 and 1900, Charles Maine restyled his business from 'C.T. Maine' to the 'London Jewellers & Silversmiths Co.' and at some further point in time, he reverted back to the old title.

Was the reason for the dropping of the 'London Jewellers & Silversmiths Co.' name the result of a legal challenge? The fact that since 1896 E.W. Bachmann had been operating in Guernsey, trading as 'Jewellers & Silversmiths Co.' (see earlier post), is not without note.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

SIMON ALLPORT

Hill Street, and later Colomberie, St. Helier

Recorded in the Jersey Almanac of 1843 as Silversmith, Jeweller and Watchmaker, located at Hill Street. By 1852 he had removed to Colomberie.

Simon Allport was born in Frankfurt, Germany in 1803. He was married in St. Helier to Mary Walters in 1827.

Source: Silver in the Channel Islands - Frederick Cohen & Nicholas Du Quesne Bird

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

ADOLPHUS QUENOUILLERE

77, & 79, King Street, and 36, Broad Street, St. Helier, Jersey

A. Quenouillere - St. Helier - 1892

A. Quenouillere - St. Helier - Undated

Adolphus Quenouillere was noted as being in business during the period 1874-1917.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

JOHN MALLETT

41, King Street, St. Helier, Jersey

J. Mallett - St Helier - Undated

John Mallett's business was established in 1851 and contintued to around the mid 1920's.

He was also noted as working out of 42, Don Street, St. Helier.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

JOHN DE GRUCHY

For the details of John De Gruchy, who had a connection with the Island of Jersey, and is perhaps to be identified with the Silversmith, Thomas De Gruchy, see:

John De Gruchy

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

I. BEGHIN

18, King Street, St. Helier, Jersey

Noted on a trade token:

obverse: MAISON DE PARIS 18 KING STREET I. BEGHIN JEWELLER etc. JERSEY
reverse: GENEVA WATCHES FRENCH CLOCKS MUSICAL BOXES GOLD AND GILT JEWELLERY ALL KIND OF BOXES JAPAN SEVRES ET PARIS CHINA FIRST MADE LADIES PARIS SHOES GLOVES PERFUMERY &c &c &c

A candidate for the identity of the above may be Ildephonse Joseph Beghin, who, in 1841, had his occupation described as 'Voyageur á commission'

See: http://www.theislandwiki.org/index.php/ ... aul_Beghin

and: http://search.jerseyheritage.org/wwwopa ... 03A214.pdf

Trev.
MCB

Post by MCB »

I BEGHIN

Ildephonse Joseph Beghin was born around 1810 in St Armand, France (of which there are several) and listed on the 1851 Census as a wine merchant in St Helier, Jersey. His children are shown as born in St Helier around 1841-48.
He was temporarily absent from his home for the 1861 Census, being listed as a merchant and visitor at “Castle Inn”, Preston. His wife Anne Emille (nee Dumarelle), also French, was listed in the same year running a fancy goods business in St Peter Port, Guernsey. Another of their daughters had been born there in 1860.
He was recorded in St Peter Port as either a fancy goods merchant or merchant until 1881.
His wife was shown as a widow on the 1891 Census. A son Emile (born 1841) ran the fancy goods business and a jewellery business from Cambridge House, Cordier Hill, St Peter Port and continued the fancy goods business in St Peter Port until after 1901.

Mike
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

EDMUND RICHARD(S)

Guernsey

E. Richard - Guernsey - 1815

E. RICHARD's Watchmaking, Silver-smith and Jewellery business, is removed to Th. Mulcot's shop, opposite that lately occupied by C. Helme, where he has on sale a new assortment of goods in the above branches.

Edmund Richard (Richards) was thought to have been born c.1786. His working period was c.1806 until c.1815.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

EUGENE TROUTAUD & SONS

Guernsey

Eugene Troutaud is thought to have been working at Guernsey as a Working Jeweller, Watch and Clockmaker as from 1874. The business was styled E.H. Troutaud & Sons in 1901, the last date noted for the firm.

Trev.
MCB

Post by MCB »

EUGENE TROUTAUD & SONS

The Channel Islands Census records provide the following additional information.
Eugene Troutaud (the spelling of the surname is variously recorded) was born in St John parish, Jersey around 1852. His father, also Eugene, a farm labourer born in Cherbourg around 1830 was listed in St John parish in 1851.
Eugene senior was a grocer’s assistant in 1871 living with his family in Fountain Street, St Peter Port, Guernsey. His son Eugene (junior) was a silversmith’s apprentice.
Eugene junior was listed in 1881 as a watch maker living at 3 Bordage Street and in the same trade in 1891 at 38 Fountain Street. His son Eugene H, born in St Peter Port around 1876, was also listed there as an apprentice watch maker.
In 1901 Eugene junior was living on his own means in New Road. Eugene H was listed as a visitor at a separate address in New Road. He continued to be a watch maker.
Eugene H was a watch maker and jeweller living at Hyaston, Glatsey(?) Esplanade in 1911. His mother Emma was listed as a widow.
The 1911 Census record is the last available on-line.

Mike
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

P. MARTEL

66, High Street, Guernsey

P. Martel - Guernsey - 1815

Perhaps to be identified with the family of Philip Martel M.C., a former director of A.P. Roger Ltd. of Guernsey. See: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 74&p=71577

Trev.

Return to “Contributors' Notes”