Hanau History and Pseudo-Marks

For information you'd like to share - Post it here - not for questions
admin
Site Admin

Hanau History and Pseudo-Marks

Post by admin »

Dear Members,
The forum has received so many questions about Hanau silver that I've asked member Bahner to write an article that would provide some history and background on the subject. He came through brilliantly and his article is now published on the site:
Hanau Silver in the "Antique Style" and its Marks

I've worked up a page on Hanau pseudo-marks to complement Bahner's article.
Hanau Pseudo-Marks & Trademarks

I suspect it may raise more questions than it answers.

Comments, Questions & Complaints Welcomed

Regards, Tom
buckler

Post by buckler »

Tom, many thanks , those two pages are invaluable.

I first encountered Hanau marks several years ago on buckles which did not fit my chronology, and until a knowledgeable dealer explained Hanau, soft punches and colonial silver pseudo marks they totally threw me !
The problem now is that I tend to dismiss anything that does not fit as pseudo marks to cover my confusion.

I've been told that in the mid -nineteenth century a whole consignment of German (probably Hanau) silver was seized in London and supposedly broken for breaking the laws on assay. I believe this atthe instigation of Goldsmiths Hall - but they failed to avoid much of it being subsequently stolen and getting onto the market, some turning up in the West Indies
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi Tom & Bahner,

I agree with Clive, this reference is invaluable.
I am aware of the many, many hours that you've both put into this project, and it shows. It really is a fine piece of work, that I'm sure, will be the reference for many years to come.

Regards Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Interesting advert from 1893, representing the manufacturers of Pforzheim, Hanau and Gmeund, in a bid to increase the trade between Germany and the USA.

Trev.
Traintime
contributor

Re: Hanau History and Pseudo-Marks

Post by Traintime »

Latest info. on marks & history for Dingeldein here: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... d7#p160564

Return to “Contributors' Notes”