William Mossop Snr. & Jnr. - Dublin Engravers

For information you'd like to share - Post it here - not for questions
dognose
Site Admin

William Mossop Snr. & Jnr. - Dublin Engravers

Post by dognose »

Here is a pair of Irish silver theatre passes that were issued to subscribers to the Private Theatre that was situated at Fishamble Street, Dublin in the 1790's.

The passes are 1 1/4" (32mm) in diameter and illustrate on one side three muses and marked on the other side Private Theatre. They are signed with the name MOSSOP and are known to have been made in 1796.

They are the work of William Mossop Snr. (1751-1804), a medalist, die-sinker and engraver who was the father of William Stephen Mossop (1788-1827) who was also an engraver and medalist and became Warden of the Dublin Goldsmiths Company 1818-1821 and Master 1821-1822. Mossop Jnr, was also the maker of the Crowned Harp and Hibernia punches that were used at the Dublin Assay Office around this period. William Mossop Jnr. was declared insane in the mid 1820's.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Interesting extract from a letter written in 1821 that provides some detail of William Mossop Jnr's life.

" I was born in Dublin, 1788 ; my studies in the Fine Arts were commenced in 1802, at the Academy of the Dublin Society under the care of Mr. Francis West, then Master of the Figure School; the progress that I made there not satisfying, I was placed among the private pupils of Mr. West, where I continued till my father's death, in 1804, left me, at the age of sixteen, very inadequately prepared to commence the practice of my art. The difficulties that were opposed to my improvement by such circumstances have in some measure continued to retard my progress, and may be urged with truth in palliation of the many faults of my works. Feeling in a short period of experience the importance of a thorough knowledge of drawing, I endeavoured to supply myself with such an advantage by resuming, in 1805, my studies under Mr. West. I regret much, however, not being able to carry my wish into more complete effect, and although every day I feel that advantage of the little I have learned, yet there is still but too much to be regretted on this subject. The first medallic work produced by me is the medal used by the Incorporated Society for promoting Charter Schools in Ireland: it was commenced a short time previous to my father's death, and finished immediately after. My next work was the medal to commemorate the fiftieth year of his late Majesty's reign, which was finished in 1810. This year I visited London, but my stay was short, and I was so bewildered by the number of objects that surrounded me, that even in that short time I did not derive all the advantage that I might have done. The list contains the date at which each medal was struck, and will fill up the remaining part of this account, save only that in 1813 I obtained a premium from the Society of Arts, Adelphi, for a medal die, that has been since purchased by the Feinaglian Institution. In 1814 I obtained another premium for a head of Vulcan, engraved in compliance with an advertisement of that Society."

Source: A History of the City of Dublin. Volume 2. By John Thomas Gilbert - 1859

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Mossop's Dublin Theatre Passes

Post by dognose »

DUBLIN SOCIETY MEDAL - WILLIAM MOSSOP Snr.

Medal issued to the winner of the Talbot de Malahide Challenge Cup, 1938, by the Royal Dublin Society:

TW - Dublin - 1938

Awarded for the Best Yearling Jersey Bull to Mrs. Darley Miller for 'Violet Hill Royal'.

The medal was struck by Thomas Weir & Sons of Dublin, and assayed by the Dublin Assay Office in 1938.

DUBLIN SOCIETY MEDAL- Hibernia seated with spear and helmet, holding a Copia, and leaning on a shield with harp, resting on books, and marked DUBLIN SOCIETY; her foot is placed on a bundle of fasces. Motto-NOSTRI PLENA LABORIS. In exergue to right, MOSSOP F. Reverse. -Blank. An oval medal; size, 2.2" x 1.9" (56mm x 46mm); struck in silver and gold for premiums. It was finished about 1802, and has been repeatedly re-engraved by other hands.

Source: The Medallists Of Ireland And Their Work - William Frazer F.R.C.S.I

See: Weir & Sons

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Re: William Mossop Snr. & Jnr. - Dublin Engravers

Post by dognose »

Medal issued to the winner of the Bewley Challenge Cup, 1949, by the Royal Dublin Society:

TW - Dublin - 1949

Awarded for the Best Jersey Cow to Mrs. M.L. Darley Miller for 'Violet Hill Ilex'.

The medal was struck by Thomas Weir & Sons of Dublin, and assayed by the Dublin Assay Office in 1949.

DUBLIN SOCIETY MEDAL- Hibernia seated with spear and helmet, holding a Copia, and leaning on a shield with harp, resting on books, and marked DUBLIN SOCIETY; her foot is placed on a bundle of fasces. Motto-NOSTRI PLENA LABORIS. In exergue to right, MOSSOP F. Reverse. -Blank. An oval medal; size, 2.2" x 1.9" (56mm x 46mm); struck in silver and gold for premiums. It was finished about 1802, and has been repeatedly re-engraved by other hands.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Medal issued to the winner of the Bewley Challenge Cup, Spring Show 1953, by the Royal Dublin Society:

TW - Dublin - 1952

Awarded for the Best Jersey Cow to Mrs. M.L. Darley Miller for 'Violet Hill Snowball'.

The medal was struck by Thomas Weir & Sons of Dublin, and assayed by the Dublin Assay Office in 1952.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Medal issued to the winner of the Bewley Challenge Cup, Spring Show 1954, by the Royal Dublin Society:

TW - Dublin - 1954

Awarded for the Best Jersey Cow to Mrs. M.L. Darley Miller for 'Violet Hill Snowball'.

The medal was struck by Thomas Weir & Sons of Dublin, and assayed by the Dublin Assay Office in 1954.

Trev.

Return to “Contributors' Notes”