When one thinks about Bristol silversmiths, the names that often spring to mind are those of Williams, Woodman, Taylor and Jackson. The Bristol Goldsmiths' Alliance, formed in the early 1880's had links with the Taylors.
Bristol Goldsmiths' Alliance - 1883
The company was formerly that of William Langford & Sons and around 1883 they acquired the business of John J. Peters & Co. The Peters firm was previously the well-known business of Charles Taylor and his son, Thomas Terrett Taylor, who traded as Charles Taylor & Son.
Charles Taylor (Grimwade 3388) served his apprenticeship with the husband and wife partnership of John and Mary Tanner (Grimwade p.369). He was indentured on the 10th March 1796, paying the then huge premium of 70 Guineas. He established his business in 1805 and became Free of the City of Bristol in 1812. In the mid 1830's he took his son, Thomas Terrett Taylor (Grimwade 3388) into partnership, they entered marks at Exeter and London. Charles Taylor died on the 17th November 1861, aged eighty and Thomas on the 27th June 1880, aged sixty-six. They were both members of Bristol City Council. Following the death of Charles Taylor the partners in the firm were noted as Thomas Terrett Taylor, George Carley and John James Peters. George Carley withdrew from the partnership on the 31st March 1867 and Thomas also withdrew on the 30th June 1870 and subsequently the firm was then styled John J. Peters & Co.
It was after the acquisition of John J. Peters & Co. that William Langford & Sons, now in the hands of Francis James Langford and George Langford, changed their name to the Bristol Goldsmiths' Alliance.
Bristol Goldsmiths' Alliance - 1906
Sometime during the period 1884-1892, Francis Langford left the business and appears to have been replaced by James Henry Mole. George Langford and James Mole dissolved their partnership on the 1st January 1893, thereafter George Langford ran the firm in sole ownership.
Bristol Goldsmiths' Alliance - 1908