Goldsmith's Wills

For information you'd like to share - Post it here - not for questions
dognose
Site Admin

Goldsmith's Wills

Post by dognose »

The wills of goldsmiths can provide much information, not just of their wealth, but of friends and family and sometimes other clues regarding their life.

If you have copies of any of these wills, or wills where a goldsmith is a beneficiary, then here's the place to post them. If over a period of time this topic grows, then perhaps it can be expanded into its own section of the forum and provide another useful resource.

Links to previous posts on this subject:

http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 38&t=16837" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 38&t=13897" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 38&t=19272" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 38&t=19229" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Re: Goldsmith's Wills

Post by dognose »

Transcript of of the will of Philip Rundell

Will dated 4th February 1827

This is the last will and testament of me, Philip Rundell, of the Crescent in New Bridge Street, in the City of London, Esq.: –

I desire and direct that all my just debts, and my funeral and testamentary expenses may be paid and satisfied by and out of my personal estate, as soon as conveniently can be after my decease. I give and bequeath unto my sister-in-law, Mrs. Maria Rundell, the sum of £20,000. And whereas I was engaged for 50 years and upwards in the trade or business of a jeweller and goldsmith, on Ludgate Hill, in the city of London, and, in conjunction with my late partners, carried on the same to a very great extent, and I thereby acquired the fortune which I now possess: And whereas I have given to my nephew, Edmund Waller Rundell, a share in my said business, and also an estate in the county of Somerset; and I have also given to my nephew, Thomas Bigge, a share in my said business, and also my bond for £20,000. ; and which shares in my said business have since been greatly increased in value to my said nephews, by my late retirement from business; now, in addition to the provisions and gifts heretofore made by me, for and to my said two nephews, I do hereby give to them and their wives, respectively, the following legacies; – that is to say, to my said nephew, Edmund Waller Rundell, the sum of £10,000.; and to Mary Ann, the wife of the said Edmund Waller Rundell, the like sum of £10,000. ; and to my said nephew, Thomas Bigge, the sum of £5000., and to Maria, the wife of the said Thomas Bigge, the like sum of £5000. I give and bequeath unto my niece, Elizabeth Anderson, one of the daughters of my said nephew, Thomas Bigge, and the wife of Colonel Anderson, the sum of £10,000;., and to her husband, the said Colonel Anderson, the like sum of £10,000. I give and bequeath unto each and every of the nine other children of my said nephew, Thomas Bigge, and Maria his wife, that is to say, Augusta Bigge, Maria Bigge, Georgina Bigge, James Rundell Bigge, Charles Richard Bigge, John Bigge, Emily Bigge, and Francis Bigge, the sum of £5,000. a-piece.

I give and bequeath unto Mr. George Booth Tyndale the sum of £5000., and unto his wife, Margaret Tyndale, the like sum of £5000.: and I give and bequeath unto each of their two children, John Tyndale and Octavia Tyndale, the sum of £5,000. a-piece.

I give and bequeath unto Colonel Shuldham the sum of £5000., and unto his wife Harriet the like sum of £5,000.

I give and bequeath unto the Rev. Thomas Strong the sum of £5000., and unto his wife Augusta the like sum of £5,000, and unto each and every of the four children of the said Thomas Strong and Augusta his wife, that is to say, Edmund Strong, William Philip Strong, Thomas Augusta Strong, and Arthur Rnndell Strong, the sum of £5000 a-piece.

I give and bequeath unto Mr. Thomas Goldney the sum of £5,000, and. unto his wife, Charlotte Goldney, the like sum of £5,000, and unto each and every of their five children, that is to say, Philip Goldney, Adam Goldney, Charlotte Goldney, Amelia Goldney, and Eleonora Goldney, the sum of £5,000 a-piece.
I give and bequeath unto my executors, hereinafter named, the sum of £10,000. in trust for the sole and separate use of Mrs. Elizabeth Goldney, the wife of Francis Bennett Goldney, for and during her natural life; and from and immediately after the death of the said Elizabeth Goldney, in case the said Francis Bennett Goldney shall be then living, then in trust for the use of the said Francis Bennett Goldney, for and during his natural life; and from and immediately after the death of the survivor of them, the said Francis Bennett Goldney and Elizabeth Goldney, then in trust for all and every the child or children of the said Francis Bennett Goldney and Elizabeth, his wife, in equal shares and proportions, share and share alike; and in addition to the trust monies lastly hereinbefore mentioned, I give and bequeath unto each and every of the nine children of the said Francis Bennett Goldney and Elizabeth his wife, that is to say, Francis Bennett Goldney the younger, Henry Gabriel Goldney, Samuel Alfred Goldney, Philip Goldney, Horatio Nelson Goldney, Arthur Goldney, George Goldney, Eleanora Goldney, and Mary Greenaway Goldney, the sum of £5,000 a-piece.

I give and bequeath to Mr. Samuel Goldney the sum of £20,000.

I give and bequeath unto my executors the further sum of £5000. in trust, for the sole use and benefit of Mrs. Eleanor Milward, the wife of Mr. John Milward, for and during her patural life; and from and immediately after the death of the said Eleanora Milward, then in trust for all and every the child or children of the said Eleanora Milvvard, in equal shares and proportions, share and share alike ; and in addition to the trust monies lastly hereinbefore mentioned, I give and bequeath unto each and every of the seven children of the said Eleonora Milward, that is to say, Anthony Milward, Robert Milward, Octavius Rundell Milward, Eleanora Milward, Mary Anne Milward, Amelia Milward, and Maria Milward, the sum of £5000 a-piece.

I give and bequeath unto my executors the further sum of £2000 sterling, in trust, for the sole use and benefit of Mrs. Susannah Milward, for and during her natural life; and from and immediately after the decease of the said Susannah Milward, then, in trust, for Susannah Milward the younger, the daughter of the said Susannah Milward, absolutely.

I give and bequeath unto Mr. Albany Carrington Bond the sum of £3000. sterling, and unto his wife the like sum of £3000 sterling.

I give and bequeath unto my executors the further sum of £5,000 sterling, in trust, for the sole use and benefit of Mrs. Eleanora Dunster Cobbam, one of the daughters of the said Albany Carrington Bond, and the wife of Mr. – Cobham, for and during her natural life; and from and immediately after the decease of the said Eleanora Dunster Cobham, then, in trust, for the next of kin, then living, of the said Eleanora Dunster Cobham, absolutely and for ever; and I give and bequeath unto each and every of their eight other children, that is to say, Mary Ann Dunster Bond, Albany Bond, Louisa Bond, Susannah Bond, Emma Bond, Frederick Bond, Catherine Kirwan Bond, and Henry Bond, the sum of £3000. a-piece. . .

I give and bequeath unto my executors the further sum of £5,000, in trust, for Mr. John Bond, for and during his natural life; and from and immediately after the death of the said John Bond, then, in i rust, for the sole benefit of Mrs. Ann Hullah, the daughter of the said John Bond, and the wife of Mr. Charles 1 Hullah, for and during her natural life ; and from and immediately after the death of the survivor of them the said John Bond and Ann Hullah, then, in trust, for the next of kin then living of the said Ann Hullah.
give and bequeath unto Mr. Joseph Neeld, the elder, the sum of £5,000, and unto his wife, Mary Neeld, the like sum of £5,000 I give and bequeath unto Mr. John Neeld, son of the said Joseph and Mary Neeld, the sum of £5,000, I give and bequeath unto Maria Neeld, daughter of the said Joseph and Mary Neeld, the sum of £2,000, and to her sister, Rosina Neeld, the like sum of £2,000.

I give and bequeath unto my executors the further sum of £5,000, in trust, for the use of Mr. John Bannister, the elder, for and during his natural life; and from and immediately after the decease of the said John Bannister, then, in trust, for the sole use and benefit of his daughter, Elizabeth Morgan, the wife of Mr. Stephen Morgan.

I give and bequeath unto the three orphan children of the late Mr. and Mrs. Eickie, another of the daughters of the said John Bond, the sum of £3,000, to be equally divided between and among them, share and share alike.

I give and bequeath unto my executors the sum of £2,500, in trust, for Mr. Thomas Harper, for and during his natural life; and from and immediately after his death, then, in trust, for his son, Mr. Henry Harper.

I give and bequeath unto my executors the further sum of £2,500 sterling, in trust, for the sole use of Mrs. Maria Cherer, the wife of Mr. Henry Cherer, for and during her natural life ; and from and immediately after her death, then, in trust, for all and every her child or children, equally to be divided between and among them, if more than one, share and share alike; and in case she shall die childless, then, in trust, for the said Henry Harper.

I give and bequeath unto my friend, Abraham Wilday Robarts, Esq., one of my executors, the sum of £500.

I give and bequeath unto Captain Gelston the sum of £100, and unto Mr. Stephen Morgan the sum of £100, and unto Mr. John Bannister, the younger, the sum of £100, and unto Mr. Charles Bannister the sum of £100, and unto Captain James Wrotton the sum of £100, and unto Mr. William Harper the sum of £100, and unto Captain White the sum of £100, and unto Mr. Robert Kirwan the sum of £100, and unto the Rev. George Hutton Wilkinson the sum of £100, and unto the Rev. Thomas Hyde Ripley the sum of £100, and unto Mr. Du Thon the sum of £100, and unto Mrs. Ann Staunton the sum of £100, and unto each of the unmarried daughters of my late friend, Charles Blatchley, Esq., the sum of £100 a-piece.

I give and bequeath the sum of £500 to the Treasurer for the time being of the Bath Hospital, to be applied for the purposes of that Institution.

I give and bequeath the sum of £200 to the Treasurer for the time being of each and every of the Charitable Institutions next hereinafter mentioned, that is to say, St. Luke's Hospital, in Old Street Road; the Magdalen Hospital, in the Blackfriar's Road; the Female Penitentiary at Pentonville, in the county of Middlesex; the Asylum for Female Orphans, at or near Westminster Bridge, and Saint George's Fields; the school for Indigent Blind, in St. George's Fields; the School for the Deaf and Dumh, in or near the Kent Road, and near St. George's Fields; the London Hospital, at Whitechapel; St. Bartholomew's Hospital, in the City of London ; the Middlesex Hospital, in the parish of St. Mary-le-bone; the Westminster Hospital, in the city of Westminster; the Lock Hospital, in the county of Middlesex; the Lying-in Hospital, in Aldersgate Street, London; St. George's Hospital, at Hyde Park corner; the Jews' Hospital, at Mile End ; the Philanthropic Institution, in St. George's Fields, to be applied to the benevolent and charitable purposes of those establishments respectively;
and I give and bequeath the sum of £200 to the treasurer for the time being of an Institution, at or near Spitalfields, called the Royal British Institution, to be applied to the purposes of that Institution. I give and bequeath unto the Master and Wardens, and the several persons constituting the Court of Assistants of the Drapers' Company, at the time of my death, and to Edward Lawford, Esq. their clerk and solicitor, a mourning ring a-piece, of the value of five guineas each. And as to all the rest and residue of my property, estate, and effects, as well real as personal, or mixed, and whatsoever and wheresoever, in possession, reversion, remainder, and expectancy, and which I have the power to dispose of by this my will, I give, devise, and bequeath the same, and every part thereof, unto my esteemed friend, Joseph Neeld the younger, of the Inner Temple, Esq. To hold the same unto and to the only use of the said Joseph Neeld, his heirs, executors, administrators, and assigns, according to the nature, tenure, and description of the said property, respectively, for his own benefit and advantage, absolutely and for ever. Provided always, and my will is, that no legacy hereby given shall operate as a release to the legatee, of any debt which, at the time of my death, may be owing to me, by or from any legatee. Provided also, and my will further is, that the legacies heretofore given shall be considered as additions to any gift, provision, or advancement which I have heretofore made or may hereafter make, during my lifetime, unto or in favour of any of the beforementioned legatees. – And I do hereby expressly ratify and confirm all bonds, deeds, settlements, and other instruments by which I have made, or at any time before my death shall make, any such gift, provision, or advancement. Provided always, and my will is, that all and every the legacies hereinbefore given to women who are married, or who shall be married at the time of my death, shall be deemed and taken to be in trust for their sole and separate use respectively, independently of their several and respective hushands, and shall be applied and disposed of for their personal benefit accordingly, during their respective lives; and their receipts for the interest, dividends, and annual proceeds thereof, during their respective livev shall, notwithstanding their coverture, respectively, be valid and effectual discharges to my said trustees, for what in such receipts shall be expressed or acknowledged to be received respectively; and from and immediately after their deaths respectively, shall go and be paid and applied in such manner as they shall respectively direct or appoint, by their respective last wills or testaments in writing, or any codicil thereto, or any paper or writing in the nature of, or purporting to be, their last will and testament, respectively; and, in default of such appointment, to their next of kin respectively. Provided also, and my will further is, and I do direct that my executors, or the survivors of them, their executors or administrators, do and shall, with all convenient speed, after my decease, lay out and invest the several sums of £10,000. £5,000. £5,000. £5,000. £5,000. £3,600. £2,500. and £2,500. hereinbefore bequeathed to them in trust, as aforesaid, in or upon some one or all of the parliamentary stocks or public funds of Great Britain: or at interest upon Government or real securities, at interest in England, in his or their own name or names, with liberty to alter, vary, and transpose, the same stocks, funds, or securities, for others of the like nature, as occasion may require, and they or he shall see fit; and do and shall pay the interest, dividends, and annual proceeds of the said stocks, funds, or securities, from time to time, unto the several and respective persons entitled thereto respectively, according to the trust herein before expressed; and with respect to the interest, dividends, and annual proceeds which shall become payable to the said Elizabeth Goldney, Eleanora Milward, Susanna Milward, Eleanora Dungtor Cobham, Ann Hullah, Elizabeth
Morgan, and Maria C'herer, during their respective lives, as aforesaid, it is my express will and desire, that my executors, or the survivor of them, his executors or administrators, do and shall pa; the same, when and as the same shall respect- ively become due and payable, into the due and proper hands of the said Elizabeth Goldney, Eleanora Milward, Susannah Milward, Eleanora Dunster Cobham, Ann Hullah, Elizabeth Morgan, and Maria Cherer, respectively, or unto such person or persons as they respectively, whether covert or sole, by any writing under their respective bands from time to time, but not by any of anticipation, shall appoint to the intent that the same interest, dividends, and annual proceeds, may be for the sole and separate use of the said Elizabeth Goldney, Eleanora Milward, Susannah Milward, Eleanora Dunster Cobham, Ann Hullah, Elizabeth Morgan, and Maria Cherer, respectively, and not subject to the debts, control, engagements, or interference of their present respective hushands, or of any future hushands whom they respectively may marry; and I direct that the receipts of the said Elizabeth Goldney, Eleanora Milward, Susannah Milward, Eleanora Dunster Cobham, Ann Hullah, Elizabeth Morgan, and Maria Cherer, respectively, or of their respective appointees, for their respective interest, dividends, and annual proceeds, shall, whether they shall be sole or covert, respectively, be effectual discharges for the money which, in such receipts, shall be expressed or acknowledged to be received. Provided also, and my mill further is, that no child or children of any of my said nephews or nieces shall take a vested interest in the portions or legacies hereinbefore provided for them respectively, who, being a son or sons, shall die under the age of 21 years; or, being a daughter or daughters, shall die under that age and without having been married; and that the share or shares, as well original as accruing by survivorship, of each and every such child or children so dying, without acquiring a vested interest as aforesaid, shall from time to time go and accrue to such of his, her, or their brothers and sisters, as shall live to acquire a vested interest in their own respective portions or legacies, under this my will. Provided also, and my will further is, that the interest, dividends, and annual proceeds of the respective presumptive portions of the several and respective children of my said nephews and nieces respectively, or so much thereof as my executors, or the survivor of them, his executors or administrators shall think fit, shall and may, from time to time, until their respective portions shall become vested, be applied, in the discretion of my said executors, in and towards the maintenance, support, and education of such child or children respectively, and that the surplus thereof shall be accumidated in augmentation of the respective portions from which the same shall arise, and go along with and accrue to the same, as if originally constituting a part thereof. And I do hereby nominate, constitute, and appoint, Abraham Wilday Robarts, of Lombard Street, in the city of London, Esq. and Joseph Neeld the younger, of the Inner Temple, London, Esq. executors of this my will. Provided always, and I do hereby further declare, that my said trustees and executors, and each of them, and their respective heirs, executors, and administrators, and every of them, shall be charged and chargeable respectively, for such monies as they only respectively shall actually receive, by virtue of this my will, notwithstanding their or any of their signing, or joining in signing, any receipt or receipts for the sake of conformity ; and that any one or more of them shall not be answerable or accountable for the other or others of them, or for any involuntary losses: and also that it shall and may be lawful for them, with and out of the monies which shall come to their respective hands by virtue of this my will, to retain to and reimburse themselves respectively, and to allow to their respective co-trustee or co-trustees, all such charges, damages,
and expenses which they, or either or any of them, shall or may suffer, sustain, expend, or be put into, in or about the execution of the aforesaid trusts, or in relation thereto. And lastly, I do hereby revoke all former and other wills by me at any time heretofore made, and do declare this to be my only true last will and testament. In witness whereof, I the said Philip Rundell, have to this my last will and testament, subscribed and set my hand and seal, this 4th day of February, in the year of our Lord, 1827.

[signed] PHILIP RUNDELL.

THE CODICIL.

This is a codicil to and to be taken as part of the last will and testament of me, Philip Rundell, of the Crescent, New Bridge Street, in the city of London, Esquire, and which will is dated this 4th day of February, 1827.

I give and bequeath unto Mrs. Elizabeth Wartridge, the sum of £5,000.

I give and bequeath unto Henry Mills the sum of £4,500.

I give and bequeath unto Charles Mills the sum of £4,500.

I give and bequeath unto George Fox, the elder, Arthur White Button, William Smith, and George Alexander Walker, who were formerly in my service in business, the sum of £100, each.

I give and bequeath unto John Manning and Peter Manning, the sum of £200 each.

I give and bequeath unto Alexander Evors and Richard Cracknell, the sum of £50 each.

I give and bequeath unto Edward Swaine, John Higgins, John Skearsley, and William Goring, formerly my shopmen, the sum of £20 each.

I give and bequeath unto Anne Roots, the like sum of £20.

I give and bequeath unto my nurses and servants, if they shall be in my service at the time of my decease, the following sums, viz. : to Mrs. Jane Bennett the sum of £100; to Ann Frost the sum of £50; to Mary Stokes the sum of £25; to James Capron the sum of £50 ; and to John Fuller the sum of £25. And in all other respects I do expressly ratify and confirm my said will. In witness whereof I, the said Philip Rundell, have, to this codicil to my last will and testament, subscribed and set my band and seal, this 4th day of February, 1827.

[signed] PHILIP RUNDELL

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Robert Edwards - Citizen and Goldsmith of London.

Will dated 23 July 1698.

I devise, etc., all my farms, etc., in Pickhill in the parish of Bangor, co. Denby, now in the occupation of my kinsman Robert Edwards, to my son John Edwards, and after his decease to my granddaughters Frances Feun, Ellen Stoner, and Mary Edwards, daughters of the said John. I give my farmes, etc., called Bedwall, Seswicke, and Marwheale, co. Denby, which came to me at the death of my uncle Andrew Edwards, to my said son John, etc. My two houses in the parish of St Anne and Agnes, Aldersgate. Said grand-daughter Mary Edwards under 21. To William Mackley, son of William M. of Aldersgate St., distiller, £10 at 21. To Dorothy Lewis, grand-daughter of my Aunt Deckaes, £10. To Robert Edwards, son of my consen Roger Edwards, £10. To Frances Stoner and Ralph Mansell £40 apiece. To my great-granddaughter Ellen Stoner, daughter of the said Francis, £100 at 21, and to her sisters Mary and Anne £25 at 21, and to their sister Frances Stoner £20 at 21. To my great-grandson James Fenn £50 at 21, and to my great-grandsons William, John, and Robert Fenn £20 apiece at 21. To Anne, dau. of Abraham Prestwood, £10. To Elizabeth, dau. of the said Ralph Mansell, £50 ; to her brother Edward Mansell £5 ; and to their brother, my godson, Robert Mansell, £10. To Anne, wife of John Greygoose, £20, etc. To my niece Sara Edwards, widow of my nephew Andrew Edwards, £10. To my maidservant Mary Hobbs £5. The said Francis Stoner and Ralph Mansell executors. The residue to my said son John and his children equally.

[signed] Robert Edwards.

Witnesses, Will. Dixon, Wm Mackley, John Pratt, senr, Jos. Fitch, and Ja. Hastings his c'ls.

Proved at London 7 October 1701 by Francis Stonard and Ralph Mansell the executors named. (P.C.C., 138, Dyer.)

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Will of Robert Orpwood - Citizen and Goldsmith of London

Will dated 18 Aug. 7 Jac.I.

My father-in-law Mr Robert Heirick £40. My mother-in-law Mrs Elizabeth Heirick £20. My brother Mr Thomas Orpwood of Abington £50. My brother William Orpwood £50. My brother Richard Orpwood £20. My brother ffrancis Orpwood £100. My brother-in-law Mr Tobias Heirick of Houghton, co. Leic, £13 6s. 8d. My brother-in-law Thomas Sacheverell of Leicester £40. My sister Ruth Rogers £10. My sister ffrances Noble £5. My sister Wheeler in London £6 13s. 4d. My sister Susanna Heirick, who dwelt with me, £13 6s. 8d. My sister Dorcas Heirick £5. My sister Hester Walker of Stanford 5 marks. My Aunt Houlden in London £10. My Aunt Cowell of London £6 13s. 4d. Poor of the Hospital in Abington, Berks, £50. Poor of the old Hospital in the New Worke by Leicester £7. Poor of Wigston's Hospital in Leicester £3. Residue to my wife Elizabeth, sole Ex'trix. My father-in-law Mr Robert Heirick and my brother Sir William Heirick of London, Overseers. Goldsmiths' Company £10 for a dinner. Richard Hudson of Leicester 40s.

Witnesses: Thomas Sacheverell, Robert Stoke, William Harry, Robert Marsham, John Whatton. (84, Dorsett)

Proved 7 September 1609 by Elizabeth Orpwood the relict.

Robert Orpwood was recorded by Heal (p.214)

For details of Robert Orpwood's gravestone see: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 214#p50214" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

William Haynes - Citizen and Goldsmith of London

Will dated 15th February 1631

William Haynes of All Hallowes, Lombard Street, London, citizen and goldsmith of London.

To be buried in the church of All Hallows &c. near the place where my late wife was interred, if I die in London, or elsewhere it shall please God to appoint. Three score and ten poor men, whereof the eighteen almsmen of the Company of the Goldsmiths to be of the number (and others named) and one for a poor man to be named by Mr. Alderman Whitmore and one other for a poor man to be named by Mr. Alderman Mouldson. Gifts to Mr. Alderman Raynton and his wife. My cousin Ferris and his wife. My cousin Humfries and his son and daughter. My cousin Taylor and his wife. My cousin Clarke and his wife. My cousin Russell's wife. My cousin Cheyney and his wife. My cousin Woodhouse and his wife. My cousin Juxon. My beloved friend Mr. Alderman Mowlson and his wife. Mr. Aldersey and his wife. Mr. Turner and his wife. My cousin Stevens and his wife. Mr. Bunberry and his wife. My brother Mr. Thomas Raynton. My brother Matthew Graves. My cousin Wimbish. My god daughter Mary Wimbish and the two other children of my cousin Wimbish not named in this my will. Nicholas Raynton, my brother George Raynton's son and every one of my brother George his children. My cousin Cooke and his son. My brother Mowlson in Cheshire and his wile. John Taylor, that sometimes was my servant, and his wife. Nicholas Raynton the son of my brother Thomas Raynton and Hammond Raynton and every one of my brother Thomas Raynton's children not named. My cousin Mr. Doctor Barker and his wife. Andrewe Barker my godson and Mary Barker his sister. Every one of the other children of mv said cousin Barker not named in this my will. My loving cousin Mr. William Raynton late of Bybury and his wife. My cousin Judith Hall, Mr. Hall's wife. My cousin Spencer als. Orchard. A number of parsons named. Certain hospitals and prisons. William Kirkland the son of John Kirkeland, towards his schooling. Margaret Kirkeland his mother. My sister Nortridge and her four daughters. My cousin Robinson the wife of Christopher Robinson of Ware in Herts. Richard Silvester and William his brother. Joane Wood, widow, and my god daughter Susan Wood. The children of my cousin Susan Wood. My cousin Taylor. My cousin Stich. My cousin Rebecca Marsh. My godson Thomas Lawrence. My godson Nicholas Juxon. Other godchildren named. My Aunt Copley. Peter Mulcaster. My godson Richard Mulcaster. To the parson and churchwardens of said parish of All Hallows twenty pounds to buy a clock to be set in the Steeple of the same parish church, if they think good, otherwise towards the maintenance of a lecture there. The poor of St. Sepulchres. The poor of Standon where I was born. William Humfreys the son of my cousin Hugh Humfries. Mary Humfreis daughter of the said Hugh. Mr. Pickmore and his sons Thomas and John. Cousin Richard Archer's five children Richard, William, Thomas, Elizabeth and Mary. Cousin Thomas Archer. John and Judith the two children of my cousin John Greene of Broffine. My cousin Haines of Dover and my cousin Mary his daughter. My cousin Smartfoote sons, the one a comfitmaker and the other a girdler. My loving friends Mr. Haines dwelling in Barkshire and his wife. My sister Greenleafe's children. The children of my sister Mills which shall have most need. Two of the children of Anne Greene of Stondon aforesaid, viz., Andrewe Foster and Agnes Foster. My cousin Stephen Harwood of Little Munden, Herts. William and Joane Harwood, two of his children. His other children. My cousin Anne Wimbush the daughter of my sister Alice Wimbishe. Mr. Rogers, Comptroller of the Mint. My cousin Mary Walker and every one of her own children. My cousin John Turner. My godson John Turner and Anne Turner his sister. Mrs. Johnson and Anne Guy her daughter. Mrs. Rawlins. Mrs. Morris of St. Katherines. My late cousin John Honicks son of Colchester and his sister. John White a poor scholar in Trinity College, Cambridge, who was sent from our parish. Loving friend Raphe Egerton. My partner George Snell and his wife. My good friend Henry White. All the servants living with Mr. Alderman Raynton at the time of my decease. Loving cousin Rebecca Mowldson. My brother Clarke of Kithermister in Worcestershire. My cousin Russell's children not named in this will. My cousin Woodhouse's children not named &c. Loving brother in law Mr. Alderman Raynton. Cousin Ferris his wife, cousin Taylor's wife, cousin Clarke's wife, cousin Wimbishe his wife, cousin Anne Wimbishe and cousin Thomas Lea's wife, now a Salter's wife in Bread Street, to have rings in remembrance of my love. The residue to cousin Alice Cheney, Joane Russell, Hellen Woodhouse and Wenefride Silvester, among and between them four to be shared, parted and divided part and part alike. And I make my brother in law Mr. Nicholas Raynton, citizen and Alderman of London, and my loving friend Mr. Thomas Ferris, citizen and clothworker of London, to be the executors and my cousin Hugh Humfreys, clothworker, and my cousin Arthur Juxon, Salter, citizen of London, to be the supervisors and overseers of the same. Audley, 43.

Proved 20 April 1632

Commission issued 2 June 1634 to Ellis (or Elias) Juxon, natural and lawful brother of Alban Juxon, deceased in parts beyond the seas, to adminster his goods &c Admon. Act Book (1634-1636) fol. 30.

Commission issued 7 April 1635 to Elizabeth Juxon mother of Richard Juxon late of Cambridge deceased to administer his goods &c. Admon. Act Book (1634-1636) fol. 98.

William Haynes was recorded by Heal (p.171)

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

William Ward - Citizen and Goldsmith of London

Will dated 2nd April 1624

William Ward of the parish of St. Savior in Southwarke in the County of Surrey citizen and goldsmith of London.

My body to be buried within the parish church of St. Saviors in Southwark aforesaid. My estate shall be divided into three equal parts or portions according to the laudable custom of the city of London. One of which said third parts of my estate I do give, devise and bequeath unto my now wellbeloved wife Roase Ward. One other third part of my said estate I do give and bequeath unto my loving son Edward Ward and unto my well beloved daughter Roase Warde equally between them to be divided part and part alike (both minors). The other third part I reserve towards the payment of debts, funeral expenses and legacies &c.

To loving aunt Margaret Wood widow forty shillings per annum, in quarterly payments. To the poor of the parish of St. Savior's four pounds sterling. To Mr James Archar our minister twenty shillings sterling. To the churchwardens and vestry men of the parish of St. Saviors aforesaid of which society I am now a member the sum of six pounds sterling to make a dinner for them. To my good friend Mr Richard Yarwood one silver bowl of the weight of twelve ounces. Item I do give and bequeath unto my brother Mr Robert Harverd and to my friend George Garrett and my cousin William Shawarden to every of them a ring of gold to the value of twenty shillings or twenty shillings apiece in money. The remainder shall be divided into three equal parts or portions, two of which I do give and bequeath unto my said son Edward Ward to be likewise paid unto him at his age of one and twenty years, and the other third part of the said remainder I do give and bequeath unto my said daughter Roase Ward to be paid unto her on the day of her marriage or at her age of one and twenty years, which shall first happen. If both my said children shall happen to die before the legacies by this my last will bequeathed unto them and either of them shall grow due then I do will and bequeath all and every the legacies, herein by me before bequeathed unto my said children, unto my said loving wife Roase Ward and unto my cousin Elizabeth now wife of the forenamed William Shawarden equally between them to be divided &c. And I do make and ordain my said son Edward Warde and my said good friend Mr Richard Woodward executors of this my last will. And I do nominate and appoint the foresaid Robert Harvard, George Garrett and William Shawarden to be overseers of this my will.

This will containing four sheets of paper was read signed sealed and delivered in the presence of us Josua Whitfeild and me William Page Scri.

Memorandum that this word Woodward was mistaken in the fifteenth line of this sheet and that according to the true intent of the said William Ward the same was meant and shoud have been written Yearwood who is the man mentioned to be nominated in the eighth line of the – sheet to be Richard Yearwood and mistaken by me the writer, witness William Page Scri.

Administration was granted to Roase Ward, the widow, during the minority of Edward Warde the son, 5th October 1624. 80, Byrde.

William Ward was recorded by Heal (p.263).

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Isaac Pearson

Will dated 12th September 1748.

Pearson, Isaac, of City of Burlington (New Jersey), silversmith; will of.

Wife, Rebecca. Daughter, Rebecca, lot on High Street, which lies between Mary Collum and Ebenezer Large, at 21. Son-in-law, Thomas Rodman, my anvill and silversmith's tools. Daughter, Elizabeth Rodman, my silver tankard. Grandchildren–Isaac Pearson Rodman, my silver shoe buckles; John and Margaret Rodman. Heirs of my daughter, Sarah, lately dec'd. Son-in-law, Joseph Holllngshead. Legacies to the children of Samuel Scattergood, dec'd.

Executors –wife, and son-in-law, Thomas Rodman.

Witnesses–John Bacon, Chris'er Wetherill, Robert Hartshorne. Proved Feb. 14, 1749.

Lib. 6, p. 263.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Johanes Vanderspiegel

Will Dated 29th November 1708.

Be it known that I, Johanes Vanderspiegel, of New York, silversmith. I leave to my eldest son Lawrence Vanderspiegel 30 shillings. I leave, all the rest of my estate to my wife Anne and make her executor.

Witnesses: John Harberdinck, Leendert Huygens De Kleyn. Will Proved, 29th March 1716.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

John Windover

Will Dated 21st July 1716

In the name of God, Amen. July 21, 1716, I, John Windover, of New York, silversmith, being sick. I leave to my eldest son, Thomas. £10, in full of all pretences my said son can make as heir at law and eldest son. I leave to my wife Engeltie all my real and personal estate, to her and her heirs and assigns forever, and I make her executor.

Witnesses, Abraham Van Gelder, Antonas Kaac, Johanes Jansen. Proved, February 23, 1726/7.

" At the same time, Hercules Wendover was appointed administrator, the executrix being dead, and the son Thomas having renounced his right."

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Edward Greene

Of The Parish Of St. John Zachary, London, Goldsmith.

Will dated 12 Jan. 1618-19.

To my dau. Sara, wife of Josua Greene of King's Lynn, Norfolk, linendraper, £100. To my dau. Anne, wife of John Mason, £100. To my dau. Elizabeth, wife of Edward Lambert of Banstead, Surrey, Gent., £100. To my dau. Rebecca, wife of John Wollaston, goldsmith of London, £100. To my sister Margaret Wood, dwelling in Bush-lane, London, £10. To the Goldsmiths' Company, £10 for a dinner on the day of my funeral. To the poor of St. John Zachary, £5. To the poor of Christ's Hospital, £5. My wife Anne to be my residuary legatee and solo executrix.

Will proved in C.P.C. 14 Jan. 1619-20 by the widow. [7 Soamc.]

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Wells Probate Court (No. 42, Bishop's Court, 1756).

Will of Elizabeth Bave, Widow, Of Tickenham, Somerset, 21 July 1756.

My body to be buried in my dear child's grave*. Goods, chattels, etc., to Mr. Henry Webb of Chichester, со. Sussex, mercer, grandson of my uncle Bartholomew Webb ; I appoint him my executor, etc. My cousin William Webb his brother ; his children. The daughter of my late cousin Thomas Webb his brother. My cousin Jane Webb his sister. The son of my late cousin William, grandson to my late uncle William Webb, goldsmith. My cousin Sarah Webb dau'r of my uncle William Webb. My cousin Richard Smith of Winchester, grandson of my late aunt ; his children. To Samuel Bave Holliman son of Mr. Reuben Holliman by Elizabeth Ann Mary his wife [inter alia] two silver spoons marked E.H.E.W., thirteen napkins marked I.H.E., and other linen in my mother's trunk marked E.E. 1670.

Mr. Webb Coombs of Nailzey [sic, for Nailsea]. Mrs. Jane Gutch, widow, living with me. Ex'or to pay £200 towards my late husband's debts, i.e. Mr. Samuel Bave ; remainder of my estate to be sold to pay his debts.

Proved by Rev. F. Potter. Inventory of goods taken by Robert Baker and Wm Bailey. Signed by Samuel Holliman.

* Elizabeth Bave was so buried on the 20th August 1756. The child referred to was her only son Samuel, who died of smallpox, aged 15.

Trev.
agphile
contributor

Post by agphile »

A WOMAN BANKER GOLDSMITH

Not exactly a goldsmith's will, but perhaps relevant here. A few years ago, when researching the provenance of a piece of 17th century silver, I looked up the will made on 1 May 1674 by Lady Anne Clifford (died 1676), the dowager Countess of Pembroke Dorset and Montgomery. It didn’t throw any light on my research but it did reveal the goldsmiths with whom she banked. She listed £1,000 “of my moneys now remaining in the hands of Sir Robert Vyner Knt and Alderman of London for which I have two bonds”. Sir Robert Vyner, goldsmith and banker, is recorded in Heal’s “London Goldsmiths” for 1662 and 1680 and noted as buried 1688, so no surprise there. A significantly greater sum of £2,400 was “in the hand of Mrs Covill widow to Mr Covill late cittizen and goldsmith of London upon two bonds”. Heal simply shows COVILL-, Goldsmith, London, as buried 1670. If it was not already known we can now see that he was a banker and that his widow maintained the business after his death. Indeed, the wording of the two will entries and the amounts involved might imply that the twice widowed countess had been shifting her business to the banker’s widow.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

I'm guessing that Mr Covill and John Colvill are one of the same.

Robert Vyner and John Colvill were two of the most important banker goldsmiths of the 17th century.

It was Vyner, later to become Sir Robert Vyner and Lord Mayor of London, who supplied the regalia for the coronation of King Charles II at a cost of £31,978-9s-11d. The high cost was due to the fact that the ancient regalia was sold or destroyed by Cromwell's men.

Both Vyner and Colvill kept their businesses open during the plague of 1665, but Vyner was to lose his premises in Lombard Street (next to the church of St Mary Woolnoth) the following year in the Great Fire.

A worthwhile read is 'Great Goldsmith - The Life of Sir Charles Duncombe' by Peter Duncombe. It gives a good insight into the banker goldsmiths of this period.

Trev.
agphile
contributor

Post by agphile »

Trev

I think you must be right. Heal lists John Colvill with the information that he was buried in 1670 which fits. Presumably his other entry for Covill, also buried in 1670, came from a source using the same alternative spelling as occurs in Lady Anne's will. As one of the wealthiest and best connected people in England she can be expected to have dealt with the leading bankers.

David
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

Hi David,

As Heal records that Colvill was also in Lombard Street until 1666, then I assume it's safe to guess that his premises were also destroyed in the Great Fire.

I must someday get around to reading Pepy's Diary.

Regards Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

William Webb

Silversmith of Cheapside, London.

Will dated: 15th February 1779

He bequeathed money to his father, Humphrey Webb, and his brother-in-law, Wm. Watson, upon trust to pay income thereof to his sister Mary Jupp, wife of Wm. Jupp. Rings to his brother Ward, for himself, and his sister Ward ; his brother Watson, for himself, and his sister Watson. Legacies to John Lardner, son of his mother-in-law, and to his sister Margaret Teurnier ; five guineas for a ring to Mr. Riggs, his partner ; rings to Mrs. Eleanor Plumer, of Lewes, in Sussex, and to Thomas Hitcher, of Birmingham, and his wife; legacy to apprentice John Hawkins; rings to Mr. Henry Turner, Mr. Trickey, of Oakingham, and Miss Williams, of Bristol. Residue to wife, Eliza Webb.– Warburton, 135.

Will Proven: 16th March, 1779, by Elizabeth (otherwise called Eliza) Webb, his widow.

Source: Proceedings of the Huguenot Society of London, Volume 1 - 1885

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

George Hall (Grimwade 816)

The Last Will and Testament of George Hall of the Strand in the County of Middlesex Goldsmith I give devise and bequeath unto my friend William Hodder of Ely Place London to whom I am indebted in the sum of (5000) five thousand pounds and upwards and to to [sic] his heirs executors and assigns all that my right Title & interest of & in certain Letters Patent bearing date the Eighteenth day of July one thousand eight hundred and ten and granted to me my executors adm[inistrator]ors and assigns for certain improvements in the art of working and making Spoons Forks & such other articles of Gold Silver and other Metals as usually were or might be Stamped or Struck by means of seals and punches or dies of any kind or description and likewise in the Tools and Instruments to be used in carrying the said Improvements into Effect & practice together with the said Letters Patent and all benefit and advantage thereof All other the Estate and Effects both real and personal of what nature and kind soever which I may be possessed of or in any manner entitled unto at the time of my decease for his & their absolute use and benefit and I do hereby appoint the said William Hodder Sole Executor of this my will In Witness whereof I the said George Hall the Testator have to this my last will and Testament contained in one sheet of paper put my hand and Seal this Seventeenth day of November one thousand Eight hundred and thirteen George Hall Si Signed Sealed published and declared by the above named Testator as & for his last will & testament in the presence of us who in his presence at his request & in the presence of each other have hereunto Subscribed our names as Witnesses Alfred [?Bangs] // William Jones // Thos [Aldin] Clerks to Messrs [?Mills] & Thrower Ely Place./ Thos Aldin Milbank Street Westminster

Proved at London 31st August 1814 before the Worshipful Samuel Rush [?Meyrick] Doctor of Laws and Surrogate by the Oath of William Hodder Esquire the sole Executor to whom adm[inistrati]on was granted having been first sworn duly to administer./-

The above content has been taken from: http://www.925-1000.com/forum/viewtopic ... 61&t=20996" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

James Gordon of Aberdeen

James Gordon died at Aberdeen on the 17th May 1810 in his 70th year.

Not so much of a will, but details of the charitable institutions that benefited from his estate:

To the Infirmary of Aberdeen.......................£15.0.0.
To the Lunatic Hospital, Aberdeen.................£15.0.0.
To the Poor's Hospital, Aberdeen...................£15.0.0.
To the Trades Public School of Aberdeen..........£10.10.0
To the Sick Man's Friend Institution, Aberdeen...£5.0.0
To the Coal Fund, Aberdeen.........................£5.0.0.
To St. Paul's Chapel...................................£20.0.0

Besides other donations to poor relatives and acquaintances.

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

John Pyncheon - Citizen and Jeweller of London

Will of Jn. Pyncheon, Citizen and jeweller of London, dated, Vigil of St. Matthew [Sept. 20], 1392.

[John Pyncheon's will is in French, with an English insertion, perhaps in order that his charitable gifts might thus be more plain. He gives money to the Poor, according to their condition; clothes to the Lame and Blind; a weekly allowance to the Prisoners in Newgate, and the Lepers, for 1 year; and a small sum to poor men of Religion.]

1 Commissary Court off London, Courtney.

(xiij. 264. 194 1f. 1. 19) Gives his lands in the county of Essex to be sold, and the money dispozed of as follows: "Ieo voile qwe la moneye soit despendu, cestassauoir, to be pore Men bat han ben Men be-fore of god conuersacion, som man .xx.s, ant som ij Marc, and 4 som xl. s., aftyr bat here stat hat ben be-fore, and bat bey be of be same Parche, and Of Petris and Cristoforys, or of obere next fer by; & where me may wetyn eny powre lame, ore powre Blynde, in Ani plache in bc Towne, bat bey han Clobys to hele hem fro colde, & 8 Schetys to bam bat han nede. And to fe presonis of newgate, a serteyn by be weke duryng on jere; & to fe Powre Mesellis a certeyn A weke duryng on jere; & bat be hows be ysold', and b° Almes yi-do in) be worst jere. And where men may a-spye eny 12 powre man of religion, Monke, Chanon, or Frere, bat bay han of my god fe godei, And' ben powre, eehe Man .vj. s. viij. 4. bat ben Prestys."

(Proved, with Codicil annext, Oct. 9, 1392.)

Trev.
dognose
Site Admin

Post by dognose »

CLARKE WIGGINS

Working Jeweller

Will dated: 17th September 1809

First, I will and direct that all my just debts, funeral expenses, and the expenses of proving this my will be fully paid and discharged by my executrix hereinafter named, as soon as conveniently may be after my decease. And I hereby give and bequeathe to my dear wife, Ann Wiggins, all and every my stock in trade, working jewelry, and implements of every description whatsoever, and also all my book debts, sum and sums of money due or owing to me from any person or persons whomsoever, all the ready cash that may be in my house at the time of my decease, money in the public stocks or funds, bills, bonds, notes, or other securities whatsoever, for and during the term of her natural life, if she shall so long continue my widow. But it is my mind and will that at her death, or in case she marry again after my decease, then that the said stock in trade, moneys, debts, and effects, and also all my household furniture, which I hereby give to her for her sole use and benefit, for and during the term of her natural life, if she shall so long continue my widow, shall belong to, and I do hereby give and devise the same to be equally divided, share and share alike, among the children that I now have, or may hereafter have by my said wife. But in case my wife, Ann Wiggins, shall not marry again after my decease, then 1 do hereby will and direct that she shall peaceably have and enjoy, and I do hereby give and bequeathe to her all and every my personal estate and effects whatsoever, for and during the term of her natural life, and the same to be equally divided to and amongst such of my children as shall be living at her decease, share and share alike. And I do hereby appoint my said dear wife sole executrix of this my will; hereby revoking all former wills by me at any time heretofore made.

Will Proved: 5th October 1809

Source: English Reports in Law and Equity: Containing reports of cases in the House of Lords, Privy Council, Courts of Equity and Common Law; and in the Admiralty and Ecclesiastical Courts, including also cases in bankruptcy and crown cases reserved, [1850-1857] - Volume 13 - Charles C. Little and James Brown - 1853

Trev.

Return to “Contributors' Notes”